First time pool closing

resch

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2009
NorthEast
We shocked yesterday, have been running pump for 24 hours at shock level and planned on putting cover on today after draining everthing well.

BUT... pH is now 8.2+ from 7.8 yesterday-must be from the pump running. Do I NEED to bring this down or can i leave it and will it drift down over winter?

Everything else is in balance. Was planning on using Polyquat 60 but thinking of only using 28/10 instead.

Thoughts on all?

My question was about if 8.2+ pH was ok to close the pool at or should we lower it...... Not about FC. All our levels were good except when we ran the pump overnight while shocking to prepare to close today the aeration of the water must have drifted our pH up and instead of 7.8 it was over 8.2. Are you saying that the FC would give a false high on the pH?

But it is a moot point now as we went ahead and said... we'll worry about it next spring. :| Anyone wanna field whether they thought we did the right thing or not? :? We also ended up using 11 oz of Polyquat 60 instead of 28/10 algaecide.

Thanks for any assistance.

resch said:
My question was about if 8.2+ pH was ok to close the pool at or should we lower it...... Not about FC.
I think this was understood. Very high FC (from shocking) affects measurement of pH. So, your 8.2+ pH may not actually be 8.2+....
resch said:
Anyone wanna field whether they thought we did the right thing or not?
From the description you provided, it sounds like you'll be alright. I don't know if your pH will come down over the winter. Most people try to lower the pH to a range of 7.2 - 7.6 before the close. Upon depletion of the chlorine over time, you may be close to the upper end of this range.

Thank you! I think I was misunderstanding the answer. I appreciate clarification.

Very high FC (from shocking) affects measurement of pH. So, your 8.2+ pH may not actually be 8.2+....
I tried to find info in pool school but didnt see anything about very high FC making pH read wrong. Good to know. Thanks!

Looking forward to April :) We love our pool. Wish we could have done it years ago!

resch said:
My question was about if 8.2+ pH was ok to close the pool at or should we lower it...... Not about FC.

sorry...it was a TYPO...High FC will cause your PH to read false high

Thanks Polyvue...I did actualy mistype that high FC will cause FC to read high :hammer:

dmanb2b said:
resch said:

sorry...it was a TYPO...High FC will cause your PH to read false high

Thanks Polyvue...I did actualy mistype that high FC will cause FC to read high :hammer:

Welcome to the wonderful world of 'typos' :handshake: (and the responses they cause :roll: :p )

polyvue said:
resch said:
I think this was understood. Very high FC (from shocking) affects measurement of pH. So, your 8.2+ pH may not actually be 8.2+....
resch said:
Anyone wanna field whether they thought we did the right thing or not?
From the description you provided, it sounds like you'll be alright. I don't know if your pH will come down over the winter. Most people try to lower the pH to a range of 7.2 - 7.6 before the close. Upon depletion of the chlorine over time, you may be close to the upper end of this range.

I have been wondering this for a while and have not seen it posted anywhere.
If a FC level above 10 causes a false high PH reading then is there a best guess chart for PH?
Pool owners with high CYA levels and that go by the best guess CYA chart may need to have their
FC above 10 to compensate for the high stabilizer levels. So in these cases how does one really know what
their PH level is at?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.