Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool closing

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool closing

We shocked yesterday, have been running pump for 24 hours at shock level and planned on putting cover on today after draining everthing well.

BUT... pH is now 8.2+ from 7.8 yesterday-must be from the pump running. Do I NEED to bring this down or can i leave it and will it drift down over winter?

Everything else is in balance. Was planning on using Polyquat 60 but thinking of only using 28/10 instead.

Thoughts on all?
    **8 y/o 24'/52" AG Vinyl 25mil Printed Liner, 14,000 gallons
    1hp Pentair/Sta-Rite 150# Sand Filter hard plumbed w/timer, 31.5 GPM pump volume.
    'Lil Shark Automatic Vacuum. Addicted to our TF100 Kit :)
    **14 y/o 440 gallon Softub. Indoor use only. Previously used BaquaSpa. Would rather not use spa than ever go back to using BS :( Would like to convert to BBB. Guidance welcomed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool closing

When FC is higher than 10ppm...the FC will read a false high...if it was in range right before shocking, you should be fine
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What is 28/10?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My question was about if 8.2+ pH was ok to close the pool at or should we lower it...... Not about FC. All our levels were good except when we ran the pump overnight while shocking to prepare to close today the aeration of the water must have drifted our pH up and instead of 7.8 it was over 8.2. Are you saying that the FC would give a false high on the pH?

But it is a moot point now as we went ahead and said... we'll worry about it next spring. Anyone wanna field whether they thought we did the right thing or not? We also ended up using 11 oz of Polyquat 60 instead of 28/10 algaecide.

Thanks for any assistance.
    1hp Pentair/Sta-Rite 150# Sand Filter hard plumbed w/timer, 31.5 GPM pump volume.
    **14 y/o 440 gallon Softub. Indoor use only. Previously used BaquaSpa. Would rather not use spa than ever go back to using BS :( Would like to convert to BBB. Guidance welcomed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by resch
    My question was about if 8.2+ pH was ok to close the pool at or should we lower it...... Not about FC.
    I think this was understood. Very high FC (from shocking) affects measurement of pH. So, your 8.2+ pH may not actually be 8.2+....
    Anyone wanna field whether they thought we did the right thing or not?
    From the description you provided, it sounds like you'll be alright. I don't know if your pH will come down over the winter. Most people try to lower the pH to a range of 7.2 - 7.6 before the close. Upon depletion of the chlorine over time, you may be close to the upper end of this range.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you! I think I was misunderstanding the answer. I appreciate clarification.

Very high FC (from shocking) affects measurement of pH. So, your 8.2+ pH may not actually be 8.2+....
    I tried to find info in pool school but didnt see anything about very high FC making pH read wrong. Good to know. Thanks!

Looking forward to April We love our pool. Wish we could have done it years ago!

7. Back To Top    #7

My question was about if 8.2+ pH was ok to close the pool at or should we lower it...... Not about FC.

sorry...it was a TYPO...High FC will cause your PH to read false high

Thanks Polyvue...I did actualy mistype that high FC will cause FC to read high
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b

sorry...it was a TYPO...High FC will cause your PH to read false high

Thanks Polyvue...I did actualy mistype that high FC will cause FC to read high
    Welcome to the wonderful world of 'typos' (and the responses they cause :P )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    I think this was understood. Very high FC (from shocking) affects measurement of pH. So, your 8.2+ pH may not actually be 8.2+....
    Anyone wanna field whether they thought we did the right thing or not?
    From the description you provided, it sounds like you'll be alright. I don't know if your pH will come down over the winter. Most people try to lower the pH to a range of 7.2 - 7.6 before the close. Upon depletion of the chlorine over time, you may be close to the upper end of this range.
    I have been wondering this for a while and have not seen it posted anywhere.
    If a FC level above 10 causes a false high PH reading then is there a best guess chart for PH?
    Pool owners with high CYA levels and that go by the best guess CYA chart may need to have their
    FC above 10 to compensate for the high stabilizer levels. So in these cases how does one really know what
    their PH level is at?
    33K Caprice Style plaster pool with Attached 802 gal Spa.
    Purex TR-100C Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar Pump.
    Raypak P-R335A-MP propane heater, Polaris 360 cleaner.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.