Deck-O-Joint

Tear it out and put in mastic (or Sikaflex SL). You are dead on with your assessment of the plastic channel! I hate that stuff and it always fails. Tear it out, use sand or backer rod to fill the depression to about 1/2" of the finished elevation, and put in the mastic material. Use some of the sand on top of the mastic so that it doesn't look all shiny (it will look more like a grout joint) and you will be fine!

Bruce

Hot and sunny all year 'round. I'm still swimming.

Sand and mastic? What about sand and that expansion joint sealer stuff? I was originally thinking of using some sanded grout I had left over from tiling the house, but wasn't sure how it would last in the elements and chlorine.

Good luck getting the expansion foam to look good once it goes off :shock: That stuff gets everywhere, and it would be tough to make look nice.

Regular sanded grout is not made for such a large application, and it would crack. You need something flexible to handle the expansion and contraction.

Once you learn how to do the mastic it really is easy. One time and you should be good, and then you can charge all your friends (it goes for $7.00 a foot here to remove and replace!) when they need theirs done!

Bruce

simicrintz said:
Tear it out and put in mastic (or Sikaflex SL). You are dead on with your assessment of the plastic channel! I hate that stuff and it always fails. Tear it out, use sand or backer rod to fill the depression to about 1/2" of the finished elevation, and put in the mastic material. Use some of the sand on top of the mastic so that it doesn't look all shiny (it will look more like a grout joint) and you will be fine!

Bruce
Re-hashing this thread...

Any tips as to how to tear the deck-o-**** out? Do I need to get it all the way to the "root"? Looking at the OP's link to deckoseal it looks like it is bonded into the concrete. Will it just pull out given enough force?

On a related topic, I have a similar plastic moulding material between the coping and the vertical pool wall that is also cracking and failing. Can I replace that with Sikaflex in that crack as well? Will it hold on a vertical face while curing?

Any tips as to how to tear the deck-o-**** out? Do I need to get it all the way to the "root"?

Probably, depends what is going in its place I assume

Looking at the OP's link to deckoseal it looks like it is bonded into the concrete. Will it just pull out given enough force?

Don't think it is "bonded" chemically, just mechanically. I have gaps betw mine & the concrete so doubt a chemical bond, call teh mfg, they are nice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well now I know what this splintering plastic Crud in my patio and deck is called!

Ripping it out and filling the expansion joints with some sort of caulk is on my list of things to do before next rainy season.

I have a large assortment of tools. I was thinking of the circular saw first, with a shallow cut, to split the stuff. That usually makes things easier to dig out. Or maybe an air chisel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.