Foam board bottom

Jul 11, 2018
Glen St Mary, FL
Hi ?. Just joined today. Have a 22'x54" Coleman still in the box. Trying to get ground and 12"x12" concrete footers level. Read all of the posts on foam board bottoms last year. Sounds like a good plan to me. But I think I bought the wrong boards. I have 3/4" x 20 1/2" x 8' white styrofoam boards. Before I go to all the trouble of taping them together please let me know if I need to get different boards. Thank you!

20.5 inch? That is going to be a lot of tape! I think people use something other than what I did but mine are the white styrofoam boards with mylar on one side. I used inch thick 4 x 8 ft and probably wouldn't bother to use it again unless maybe I was installing on concrete. I am not in the majority here about padded floors. I just don't like it. I would use a gorilla pad or other protector but don't care for the "cushion" sensation.

The stuff you want is going to be blue or pink and it's like one gigantic pellet. It's just one piece. The white stuff is called bead board and you can usually see where the beads were smashed together. They come apart.

Not sure what it's like in Florida, but that extruded stuff is really hard to come by in SoCal. If you can't find it, then you won't have much choice but to use the bead board. I'd trim it real close after the pool is filled, so nobody steps on it and starts breaking it up.

Thanks for your reply ��. Yes I'm thinking it's going to be a whole bunch of taping. These are just plain white styrofoam boards. Pool is going in back yard - no concrete. The biggest draw for me to using styrofoam was the smooth bottom - no footprints to try to vacuum

- - - Updated - - -

And that was supposed to be a smiley face - not sure how I got 2 question marks?

Thank you! I will try Lowe's and Home Depot again. I went to one and the guy who helped me just thought I'd lost my mind (from the look on his face) and said they didn't have what I was looking for. I do plan to cut/tape together so that it just fits under the pool. I also purchased roofing felt for one layer and enough weed proof to do a layer under and a layer over the foam boards.

Thank you! I will try Lowe's and Home Depot again. I went to one and the guy who helped me just thought I'd lost my mind (from the look on his face) and said they didn't have what I was looking for. I do plan to cut/tape together so that it just fits under the pool. I also purchased roofing felt for one layer and enough weed proof to do a layer under and a layer over the foam boards.
I just saved you some running around. Lowes only has 1/2" in stock. Home Depot has the 1". This stuff: Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-5 Scored Square Edge Rigid Foam Board Insulation Sheathing-20WE - The Home Depot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Either the XPS (usually pink or blue) or EPS (white) will work. XPS has a slightly higher density (Foamular 150) than EPS, but only a couple of psi.
Both are manufactured from the same material (polystyrene resin) through different processes, both are closed cell and both will work below grade, so moisture won't degrade either, though some brands of eps foam will absorb more water. Sunlight (UV) will degrade both, though, so you either want to cover it or trim the exposed areas. Home Depot sells a brand of EPS foam that has a reflective film on one side and an opaque film on the other that protects the board.

I am not sure on the tape but folks around here recommend 3 layers of whatever you use, I used gorilla and only did one layer. I have some lines where my foam separated a bit but I don't really care (and I have the "wrong" kind of foam so...)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.