cold weather and chemical effects on the pool

May 15, 2009
We have not swam for over 3 weeks now and not likely to until the spring. Our pool is scheduled to be shut down oct 23 as we have a spill over spa that we like to use 2 or 3 times a week.
What is recommended for running the pool and spa at this time. Daytime temps are between 55 and 68 basically and nights can go down to 38 or less. Whats the rule of thumb for running the filters at this time and is it very important to be so proactive with chemical checking? I still have the chlorinator running but basically only run the filter maybe 2 or 3 days a week for a few hours, which means the chlorine is only getting in on those times. If we decide to use the spa I give it a blast of chlorine before we use it and circulate the water in from the pool. Are there any dangers in what I am doing? your thoughts? :blah:

gabagoo said:
We have not swam for over 3 weeks now and not likely to until the spring. Our pool is scheduled to be shut down oct 23 as we have a spill over spa that we like to use 2 or 3 times a week.
What is recommended for running the pool and spa at this time. Daytime temps are between 55 and 68 basically and nights can go down to 38 or less. Whats the rule of thumb for running the filters at this time and is it very important to be so proactive with chemical checking? I still have the chlorinator running but basically only run the filter maybe 2 or 3 days a week for a few hours, which means the chlorine is only getting in on those times. If we decide to use the spa I give it a blast of chlorine before we use it and circulate the water in from the pool. Are there any dangers in what I am doing? your thoughts? :blah:
A lot depends on where you live, but unless you're going to close both pool and spa on Oct 23 (in a mild climate, read this post: Closing in southern california) you'll want to be proactive in the application of chlorine year round... consider running the filter every day instead of 2 or 3 times a week but cut back on the number of hours per day. How many hours are you filtering now? If 6 hours a day, try pumping only half of that time or 3 hours per day. If you're testing your water regularly and keeping it balanced, there's no danger of using pool water to feed your spa. Of course, you don't want to let either body of water lay stagnate (again, this applies unless you're closing it for the season and if you are, you won't want to bring into your spa unfiltered and untreated water that's been sitting around for weeks... or months) Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.