Water Too Low for the Light?

May 28, 2009
Hello everyone! I was talking to a guy at the pool store (in Denver CO) about the light in my pool. At normal water height it is 18 inches below the surface. If I take it down to 3 inches below the returns the light will be at 5 inches above water. He said when they close pools they dont worry about lowering the light because the freezing doesnt do anything to the light... this doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. Is he right?

I've seen 1 light that I believe had it's lens broken by the expansive force of ice over the winter (or maybe some truant pulled back the cover over the winter and hit the lens with a hammer :p ),

Since I ~ know it can happen, let me tell you 2 ways to protect the light.

1) Unscrew the light from the niche and let it sink to the bottom of the pool

2) Unscrew the light and bring it up on the deck and put a bucket over it (if you lay it lens down, put a rag or similar on the deck :wink: )

I hope you'll stop by from time to time over the winter, it's a little slow here :roll: and we'd love to have some questions and pools to discuss :cool:

Have a great winter!

Thanks for taking the time to post a response. I was trying to close my pool and as I was trying blowing out my pipes my power went out! Someone cut a wire someplace.

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, how many lights have you seen? Was the light that broke a rare occurance? I am wondering because we had to replace the light this year due to water actually running up wire so I would rather leave it alone I'd that is possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.