Las Vegas Area Pools

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
NW Ohio
So it looks like we're going to move to Vegas in 2 or 3 years. Henderson to be more exact. However, we're looking at houses with pools to get a general idea of what's out there, and I'm noticing that a lot of the pools are empty. Usually the REO's. Is there a water table out there I should be concerned about? I know it's a desert out there, but that's all I know.

Thanks!

Never been to the area, but isn't that basically high desert? Meaning low or non-existent water table?

An empty pool needs to be inspected by a certified expert - looking at the integrity of the surface and then filled with water to check for leaks.

I thought I read somewhere on here about the plaster being damaged when exposed to prolonged sunlight.

I know that there is an aquafier in the Vegas area, but I have no idea about the depth. I would think that if there was an issue at excavation they would have installed a hydro static relief line to address it. I have a buddy in the plaster industry in Vegas and he may be able to check something out for you (I don't know how far from vegas Henderson is though :oops: ).

Bruce

Yeah, Henderson-Vegas, pretty much the same thing. Just don't let them out there know that... :mrgreen:

It's definitely the economy, seems most of the houses out there are owned by the banks.

You see a lot of houses with pools like this one.
hpool.jpg

Only right now, they actually look like this.
hpool1.jpg

From what little detail I can see in the pictures, it doesn't appear to be damaged... Just empty.

If they are empty, and plaster, and exposed to the heat and sunlight, they are going to need to be re-plastered! Make sure that you have the price for that figured in since it will be required.

Bruce

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
simicrintz said:
If they are empty, and plaster, and exposed to the heat and sunlight, they are going to need to be re-plastered! Make sure that you have the price for that figured in since it will be required.
Hi Bruce --
Don't mean to hijack this thread (may I?) but I'm curious as to the reasoning behind why this would be so. Is there a time element involved?

Thanks, Greg

The nature of plaster is that it needs to remain submersed. Once it is exposed to the air (and sun/high temps) it starts to "release" from itself. That is the main reason that pool owners in AZ, for example, do not drain their water during a good portion of the year, as it is so hot that the plaster fails quickly.

PebbleTec (and I would assume, the knock off products to it) hold up better to this type of exposure, as it is comprised of mostly rock, and has only a little plaster to hold it all together. P-Tec is the only product in the line that is capable of continuous exposure (P-Sheen and P-Fina are not).

You may need to educate the Realtor as to what happens to plaster that is no longer submersed, and the costs associated with re-plastering a pool. They may not know what the effect of this is, and are only trying to keep from having green pools in the homes! In the end though, they are really hurting the new buyer, who probably also does not know what he is in for from the pool being drained and exposed.

Bruce

simicrintz said:
The nature of plaster is that it needs to remain submersed. Once it is exposed to the air (and sun/high temps) it starts to "release" from itself. That is the main reason that pool owners in AZ, for example, do not drain their water during a good portion of the year, as it is so hot that the plaster fails quickly.
I don't think many California operators drain their pools either, but I didn't associate this with plaster failure. Could you be more specific when you write that "it starts to 'release' from itself?" My pool shell is gunite with a "fortified" marcite surface. Are you saying that the plaster will disjoin (detach) from the concrete? If so, do you know of any industry papers or journal articles that speak of this? Thanks...

polyvue said:
simicrintz said:
I don't think many California operators drain their pools either, but I didn't associate this with plaster failure. Could you be more specific when you write that "it starts to 'release' from itself?" My pool shell is gunite with a "fortified" marcite surface. Are you saying that the plaster will disjoin (detach) from the concrete? If so, do you know of any industry papers or journal articles that speak of this? Thanks...

I'm in S. California, and we do not recommend that folks drain their pools for extended periods of time, especially in the warmer months. Since I am also in the thick of quite a few repo homes, I see alot of pools that are drained and sitting exposed. I am often called to meet with the Realtor or new buyer (or both) to assess these types of properties and provide costs.

If plaster is allowed to dry out it will delaminate from itself. Unless the workmanship was bad from the start, it will not delaminate from the gunite (or shotcrete) usually, but it will release from itself. A "fortified marcite" finish is still just a crushed marble finish, and is very susceptible to damage if left exposed to the elements. Depending on what it was fortified with, it may have a somewhat stronger resistance to the exposure, but probably not enough that I would take any unnecessary chances.

I do not know of any industry papers that would support this, but I do know what I see in 15 to 20 backyards a week! If I can help somebody avoid having to re-plaster a pool by providing information, I have accomplished something!

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.