Intex cartridge filter passing sediment back into pool...

Jul 11, 2007
I've got my new Intex 18ft. metal frame up and running. The water, from my well, was not too difficult to get balanced (despite having a starting ph of 5.5). The 1500gph pump and cartridge filter seem to do fine on this pool (which is set under a tree and some blooming crape myrtles). The over-the-side skimmer does a good job too. The vacuum, which uses the pump via the skimmer, actually does a good job of cleaning without much effort.

I have a fine layer of red sediment on the pool floor. It either came from the well or from the air. Oklahoma is made of red dust, after all. Not a lot but enough to vacuum a clear visible path through it. The pool would be sparkling if the sediment were gone. As I vacuum, however, a red cloud begins to develop at the return. The stuff is passing through the filter. I'm catching some too because the cartridge turns red. It is easily washed off.

I can't think of a way to get this sediment out of the pool. Any ideas?

Also, do sand filters trap fine sediment like this?

thanks,
John
Bethel Acres, OK

A properly working cartidge filter will normally filter smaller particles than a sand filter. Either one will filter down fine enough that it is unlikely you would be able to see the very fine dust that gets through as anything other than a very slight haze in the water.

I suspect there is a leak or hole in or around your cartridge. It might not be mounted correctly, or something might not have sealed correctly, or there might be a hole in the fabric of the cartridge. If you have a spare cartridge you could try that. It is also worth looking around the places where the cartridge seals against the filter to be sure there is no debris or imperfections that might prevent a good seal.

The way the Intex pump/filter is designed the water goes in at the botom, and leaves at the bottom. It almost completely bypasses the filter, it does not have the "pass thru", just pass by. This is probably your problem, and the problem I had also. My solution was to upgrade to a sand filter, but that is not always feasible. Another thing I did last summer was use a skimmer sock on the filter itself, alot of the debris just kinda stuck to it.

You can also Vacuum to waste, by unhooking the return hose from the pool and directing it somewhere else. That is the only way i was ever able to get fine debris out of the pool w/out the filter returning it for me.

I'm glad you got your 1500 gph pump working well...

I have the same pool, and that 1500 gph pump I'm selling on ebay right now cause it didn't do a very go job of turning the water over.....last year I purchased a Hayward 18 sand filter with a 1/2 Hayward flow pump and it turns my water over in about 2 hours...

and when I had that 1500 gph pump on the pool that came with the pool, I could barely feel the water coming out from the inflow value and vacuuming was a nightmare....

so that's the reason I switched.....some might call my setup overkill, but it gets the job done much faster and since I'm using an Aquacritter now, I wouldn't think it would work with that 1500 gph pump...just not enough pressure.

jcw74801

The Intex "A" filter that comes with the 1500 GPH pump is about 5 Sq. ft. and does not do a very good job of sealing in the lower part of the filter housing. I ran across the same problem with not filtering the dirt where I live. I have made several upgrades and it has reduced my dirt on the bottom since.

I spotted some "A"/"C" Sun N Fun filters at Wal Mart that work better, the inside hole is flexible thus fitting better on the bottom of the cartridge housing. The "A" filters don't do this. If that is not available then check out a modification to help seal the bottom of the filter here.
http://www.troublefreepools.com/viewtopic.php?t=1297

I found this pump available after I upgraded last year to the Intex SWG/Pump combo last year. My combo unit has the same filter issues as the 1500 GPH version. The only reason I mention it is for the convince of the fittings to the pool used by Intex. The motor in my opinion is too big for a 18' pool.
http://www.qualityinflatables.com/sp1.html

I bought a used Hayward 50 sq.ft cartridge filter and hacked it into my SWG/pump, and have notice it does a better job of filtering since I don't get bypass anymore.

Jond said:
jcw74801

The Intex "A" filter that comes with the 1500 GPH pump is about 5 Sq. ft. and does not do a very good job of sealing in the lower part of the filter housing. I ran across the same problem with not filtering the dirt where I live. I have made several upgrades and it has reduced my dirt on the bottom since.

I spotted some "A"/"C" Sun N Fun filters at Wal Mart that work better, the inside hole is flexible thus fitting better on the bottom of the cartridge housing. The "A" filters don't do this. If that is not available then check out a modification to help seal the bottom of the filter here.
http://www.troublefreepools.com/viewtopic.php?t=1297

I found this pump available after I upgraded last year to the Intex SWG/Pump combo last year. My combo unit has the same filter issues as the 1500 GPH version. The only reason I mention it is for the convince of the fittings to the pool used by Intex. The motor in my opinion is too big for a 18' pool.
http://www.qualityinflatables.com/sp1.html

I bought a used Hayward 50 sq.ft cartridge filter and hacked it into my SWG/pump, and have notice it does a better job of filtering since I don't get bypass anymore.

I didn't have an issue upgrading to a Hayward Sand Filter 18 and a Hayward 1/2 HP Flow Pump...some said it would collapse my Intex 18x48 Metal Frame pool, but that was BS....I've been using it for 2 years now.

I'll admit, I paid almost as much for the Sand filter and pump as I did for the pool (more now that I'm selling the 1500gph pump on ebay), but I think it's worth it.

and, I used the hoses that came with the pump..they connect right to the plunger values on the Intex pool..they didn't screw in, but the brackets work just as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How well is the pool covered? Good coverage goes a long way to keeping the excess Crud out of the pool, like silt, blowing clay dust and pollen. It could be a purpetual race to keep up with the layer of silt on the bottom if the pool is uncovered.

Jond said:
rpgman

lol, that is the identical I just bought. with 2 speed for my 18' pool.

yea, mine isn't a 2 speed.... :cry:

back then a year ago, I was a new pool owner, and didn't know much about pumps back then, and most were saying that filter and pump I was getting would collapse my pool, and not knowing enough back then, after I hooked it up, I said a prayer before turning the pump on hoping it wouldn't collapse....now I know a great deal more...

I wish I had a 2 speed though... :cry:

Thanks for all the responses. The cartridge does indeed fit very loosely inside the housing which provides some bypass as mentioned. I found some o-rings that do a good job of sealing both ends of the cartridge. I then installed a new cartridge and tried vacuuming the sediment again. Some of it is still returning to the pool so it must be passing through the filter material.

So I removed the cartridge, disconnected the return hose, and vacuumed to waste. Vacuuming without the cartridge in the housing provided a lot more suction and I was able to clean the floor of the pool pretty quick. I only lost about 2 inches of water and made a muddy mess out of my already rain saturated ground. But the pool looks great.

The pool came with a pretty decent cover and I use it every day. It seems to be making a big difference on the amount of debri and chlorine consumption too.

thanks again,
John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.