Head loss due to 45 and 90 degree elbows

rmklaw

Aug 27, 2009
I am replacing my whisperFlo with a VS+SVRS IntelliFlo. Due to some pipe obstructions interfering with the SVRS top mounted controls, I have to relocate the pump by adding four to six 45 degree elbows (to go up over pipes and then back down) and maybe another 2-3 feet of pipe lenght. My piping is 2" diameter. Should I worry about introducing additional headloss due to the extra plumbing or is it negligible?

The issue I have is that I need to extend the pump to maintain a 12" straight suction pipe at the inlet (according to Pentair). Suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

If you are replacing 3 90s with 6 45s, it really isn't worth it since the head loss is about the same. Even if you replace 3 90s with 3 45s, not sure how you would do that, but because you have so much head loss elsewhere the difference isn't really all that great either.

The biggest bang for your buck is to upsize the pipe. The difference between 2" and 2.5" pipe on the whole pad can be as much as 8' of head @ 90 GPM or 2' @ 45 GPM. But given that you have the Intellilflo and probably operate at lower flow rates, it probably won't really matter all that much.

Thank you mas985. Actually, I am not replacing the elbows. It is a net add because I have to go under existing pipes and then back up which will require 4x45 degree. The 2.5" pipe sounds like an idea. Since I have solar heating, I may consider the two solar heating runs (ap and down). Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.