Check Vavle and Pool Closing

Aug 4, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Getting ready to 'close' my pool for the first winter that I've owned it. SInce I'm in an area that rarely freezes at night, my plan is to clean/shock/algicide/cover the pool and set my timer to run the two-speed pump on low for 1-2 hours every night.

I've been experimenting with the pump and my main concern is that the pump wont prime when the timer turns it on at night. Previous owners (orginal installers) ran the pump 24 hours a day so this wasn't an issue. Should there be a check valve before the pump inlet? Would one make the pump priming easier? The pump primes relatively quickly on high speed but I haven't run the pump more than 30 seconds waiting for it to prime on low for fear of damaging it.

Also, should I set my 6-way valve to recirculate or filter during the winter? Will the filter even be effective or just become air-bound from turning the pump on/off?

pointledge said:
I've been experimenting with the pump and my main concern is that the pump wont prime when the timer turns it on at night. Previous owners (orginal installers) ran the pump 24 hours a day so this wasn't an issue. Should there be a check valve before the pump inlet? Would one make the pump priming easier? The pump primes relatively quickly on high speed but I haven't run the pump more than 30 seconds waiting for it to prime on low for fear of damaging it.
This does sound a bit odd. In my configuration, there's no check valve before my single-speed pump, which is about 1 foot or more above grade and perhaps 1.5 ft above water level. It will lose prime only when I open the pump filter basket lid for cleaning -- or the filter pressure release valve is opened. Not sure what type of pump you have... my Hayward TriStar is self-priming to the extent that it takes about 10-15 seconds to gobble up enough water to do the job once turned on. This is a bit of a long shot, but is there any way to start the pump on high before continuing on low?

If you are losing prime when the pump is off, you have a leak in the system. If you cannot find any wet spots between the pump and the returns, it is very likely a suctiuon side leak.

Can you see any bubbles in the pump strainer basket when the pump is running?

Only a small amount of air is ever in the pump filter basket area... When I turn the pump off though, all the water flows out. Is this bad/wrong?

If there is a leak, I suspect it is from the filter. The pressure guage/air relief thing on top of the filter is likely the culprit... I might look at replacing that over the winter. I need to get into the 6-way valve this weekend and replace the spider gasket as I'm leaking water to waste slowly. Not sure if air could be entering there as well when the pump is off.

FWIW, my pump is probably 1-2 feet above water level.

When I turn the pump off though, all the water flows out. Is this bad/wrong?
Yep. A properly functioning system will allow no air to enter the system when the pump is off.

If your multi-port is leaking water, that is at least one source of the air.......it sounds like you may have others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.