First time closing pool (Ontario, Canada)

aqualicious

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
We're slowly getting things organized to close our pool. I'm new at this and need hand holding. I read pool school quite a few times ("Closing (winterizing) your above ground pool") but still feel like I need a little help with our specifics.

I vacuumed and cleaned my pool thoroughly today and then shocked it to FC of 15. Thanks to last weeks rainfall, I also backwashed as low as I could let my water level go without compromising skimmer function.

We ran out of time and put on the cover temporarily to keep leaves and dirt out of the pool.

So........On Friday or Monday we plan on finishing. This is where I need hand holding.

a) Filter. turn off.

b)Drain pool....I've read 3", dad says 3", and pool school says 6" below openings....but with a cover is 3" okay? What's the easiest way to drain the pool? I don't have any extra pumps or equipment. I do remember a few time my vaccuum causing a siphon effect when removing it but can't exactly remember how.

c) Skimmer plugs Disconnect plumbing. Leave skimmer opening open? Skimmer will be covered by the cover so nothing should get in there right?

d) polyquat algaecide optional...what do you northern pool owners do? I haven't had any algae problems yet.

e)Solar panels (Enersol) are year round outdoor quality so they only need to have the caps taken off and drained. We have alot of pipe coming down from our roof, under our shed, down a slope and runs along our fence. Do we just leave the end of the pipe open all winter? I don't know what to do here as obviously this plumbing will stay out year round.

f)Solar blanket. clean, dry and store.....I was planning once it's dry to reroll it on the reel, cover with vapor barrier/plastic and store on ground beside pool. Is this wise? I don't have a garage to store my reel.

g)Sand filter. Remove pressure guage. Drain the filter by removing drain plug and putting filter to "winterize", check to make sure nothing is blocking drainage. What then? Do I put the drain plugs back on or leave them off? Do I remove any part of the sand filter to store indoors? Secure large plastic bag over filter.

h)Pump. disconnect suction and return line to filter, drain, clean strainer and store in basement. I'm assuming at this point there should be no piping connected to my pool right?

i) Winter cover. Secure back on.

Am I missing any steps? Any tips?

Thankyou so much everyone.

I pull the hoses on my pool pump/filter and drain til it can't drain anymore. This year, I did it a lil different and covered the pool before I drained it. It was a bit easier getting the cover on. Once I laso'ed the cover on and tightened er down, I started the drain, unhooked the pump, took the hoses off, tore it apart to clean and was done with it. I have a DE... :wink:

I don't plug skimmers or returns, I just let it all go. I put parts in my skimmer to hold them so I know where it all is at opening.

I also didn't add algaecide this year, just shocked and covered. We'll see how it looks in spring. :mrgreen: Good luck.

I haven't used algaecide in years. Totally optional.

I think you leave the plug off the sand filter but I'm not 100% sure.

For syphoning, just hold one hose on the outside of the pool, and hold the other end up to the return. This will prime the hose and create the syphon. AS long as the end stays submerged, the water will continue to drain from the pool.

Solar cover - not sure....

Pool to shock level a couple hours/night before closing (no Algaecide).
Vacuum to waste.
I drain the pool down with the vacuum still attached, about 3" below return. I need to remember to remove the skimmer basket next year so I don't have to re-set due to sucking air. :-D
I leave the drain off my sand filter and don't even bother covering it.
Remove hoses and pump. Wash pump down and drain before bringing in house. Hoses stay in shed with SWG.
No skimmer/return plugs used.
No solar panels here yet.
The solar cover I leave on the reel and store it in my shed on the reel suspended from ceiling with eye hooks and rubber bungees, it's only ~14' long though.

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here, but did you blow the water out of your lines/heater etc?

For your solar system, you may want to loosely connect the pipes to make sure critters don't move in over the winter.

I shock the pool and wait two hours back wash the filter until the water is to skimmer level. I then use a sump pump to drain the pool down to two inches below the return. I remove the piping from the solar heater and drain it.\,roll it up and put it away. I then drain the pump and filter.I put the pump in the garage. Next I remove the multi-port valve and put it in the garage. I then take the plug off the filter to drain it and I cover it with the drain left off.
This year i bought a cover for a 24ft pool.an air pillow and some water bags. The larger filter allows the cover to fit flush against the sides. This along with the pillow will enable me to not hve to worry about rain and snow putting excess pressure on the pool. The bleach bottles are just to keep the cover flat on the top rail. So far this setup has tamed the abuse from the wind. I also go around twice with shrink wrap before I put the cover on.

Attachments

• IMG_2415.JPG
    IMG_2415.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 305

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For my ag 21 ft round pool in the northeast..... trying to figure out uf i should use the gizmo this year. My pool has a slightly bent frame near the skimmer, because of ice damage a few years ago. Trying every year to close in a way that best safeguards against more damage to that area.

This year, i had added a skimmer plug to the opening. And will be dropping the level down just below the skimmer. I use a solid winter cover, clips around the rim always help, so i am continuing that this year.

My question has to do with the gizmo. Do i need it or not? If i use it, do i leave the skimmer lid off or on? If i leave it on, using the gizmo, do icover the small hole in the middle of the lid or not?

Thanks for your thoughts, in advance.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.