Dallas metro pool winter questions

Sep 11, 2009
Dallas Metro area pool owners out there? My spouse asked me if I know how to "winterize" our pool and I told him "no". So I have a few questions.

1. My Hayward heater has a set point for pool and spa set at 64 degrees. I imagine that means that if the water temp dips below that, the heater will begin to heat the water to 64. I have been warned that running the heater is expensive and I want to avoid. How low can I safely set the set point?

2. Besides reducing my filter time during winter months, is there anything else I need to do differently?

I did read about running your filter during below freezing weather I assume this is to keep water moving and prevent freezing pipes. :roll:

juicepluspoolmom said:
Dallas Metro area pool owners out there? My spouse asked me if I know how to "winterize" our pool and I told him "no". So I have a few questions.

Would think that Dallas has a winter not unlike northern Florida, Georgia, Northern California... so I'll take a shot at answering some of your questions.

1. My Hayward heater has a set point for pool and spa set at 64 degrees. I imagine that means that if the water temp dips below that, the heater will begin to heat the water to 64. I have been warned that running the heater is expensive and I want to avoid. How low can I safely set the set point?

I would just turn the heater OFF, or put the set point below likely mid-winter water temperature (50° F. or thereabouts). For my (electric) heater which can run independently on its own thermostat as well as being controlled by my Hayward PS-8... I turn it off at the pool controller panel, off at the heater-mounted thermostat and, for good measure, flip the switches to off on the sub-panel.

2. Besides reducing my filter time during winter months, is there anything else I need to do differently?

Nothing at all, really. Continue to test the water (though you'll be able to do it a bit less frequently); check/empty the skimmer and pump filter baskets; net and brush the pool from time to time; adjust the SWG (up or down) as needed to maintain chlorine; continue to run your automatic cleaner (or vacuum when necessary).

I did read about running your filter during below freezing weather I assume this is to keep water moving and prevent freezing pipes. :roll:

If automatic "freeze protection" is not a feature on your system, recommend turning on the main pump (on low, if yours is a 2-speed pump) before bed when you know the overnight temperature is going to be close to 35 degrees or less. If you get multiple days with sub-freezing temps, you may need to be a bit more aggressive in pump operation times. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.