Bubbles from return while solar runs

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
I have a constant flow of bubbles from the return nearest my pump whenever solar is running. It hasn't done this until the last month or so. Any advice or suggestions? I don't have any leaks that I'm aware of other than the slow drip I've had since day one. It drips once ever 8 seconds.

It is odd that you are only getting bubbles when going through the solar. The panels are on the return side and so any holes would have water coming out rather than air going in. Although without knowing exactly the setup, it would be hard to know for sure.

Did you check the vacuum relief valve? Are you sure it is not just purging air from the panels? Can you divert all the flow to the panels and after a couple hours you are still getting bubbles?

If I leave them on all day I still have bubbles at the end of the day. The panels are on top of my deck roof. The downspout that serves that roof is bone dry so I'm pretty sure I don't have a leak up there. I thought I'd get up on the roof and check the valve you mentioned though.

Sometimes the panel restriction combined with very little restriction beyond the panels results in the outlet pipe to the returns not staying full. By diverting a little flow around the solar, the problem goes away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.