Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help securing winter cover

1. Back To Top    #1

help securing winter cover

Posted this over on the 'closing pool' forum, but thought I might get a response here. We have an above ground with deck surrounding on all sides. Decided you can't securely cinch the cover off by the usual 'wrapping it under the rim' method. We've decided to lay the cover flat over the top and extended it out over the deck, then tying off the cover to the posts on the deck. Has anyone tried this approach? What type of rope/? did you find successful yet will still fit through the grommets? Thanks.
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite cristal sand filter & pump (1.5 h.p.), BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: help securing winter cover

if there is not enough room to slide the cover between the decking and the pool (you can use a pry bar to make the gap slightly larger to slide through sometimes). Then I would recommend taking the wire out of the grommets in that area and lay the cover on the decking. Use water bags to hold the cover to the decking. As for the wire you can choose to reattach the winch and wire under the decking and then ratchet it tight or you can put eye bolts into the decking and attach the cover to each eye bolt on either side of the decking and then ratchet it tight.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't recommend the rope thing. The cover moves and cause the rope to either gouge a groove in your deck or round over the edge if it's moving side to side.
    Hampton 12x24 52" AGP buried two feet
    Fiberon Deck

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have a deck that totally surrounds the AG pool, treat it as if were an IG pool - ie. get an IG pool cover and secure it appropriately

(if you have questions about the covers you can get, we'll happily answer them )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I misread, the deck surrounds on all sides. Then do as waste said with water bags and such. Don't forget you can probably get a safety cover if you decking meets some standards!
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp