Vaccuming to waste without a vaccum to waste option

May 25, 2007
Waste posted this in another thread and I'd hate to see this excellent tidbit get lost :)

If you have a separate pump and filter which doesn't have a multiport -

Remove the filter element, if possible, and open the drain plug - attach a hose to it if you don't want to flood the filter pad area. Put plugs in any return ports, if you don't have a valve to kill the returns. Vacuum through the, now empty, filter.

Should be very helpful for those with cartridge or non-multi port filters :)

Rangeball said:
Is the pump separate from the filter, or is it an all in one pump/filter?

Any chance you have a pic showing what you're talking about?

Look right above both pumps and you can see the blue handles:

66.jpg

Tagprod, if you had a valve between the filter and the pump that you could close so all flow was directed out of the faucet, then I'd think you could. However, you'd be reducing diameter quite a bit, and I don't know what issues that might cause.

If nothing else, the method waste described should work, I'd think.

Rangeball, thanks for quoting me and letting more people know of the method :-D It started, for me, as a way for folks with Hayward cart or EC filters to reduce the need for cleaning the filters when they open the pool to a 'swamp' (The EC filters - bump style DE filters- cannot have the fingers removed, but this method does reduce the amt of 'crud' that will collect on the 'fingers', thereby reducing the need to break them down and manually clean them). There are other techs out there that recommend the same thing (there was a post last year from someone questioning the method, others posted that they thought it unworkable too but I supported it as being viable)

Crocket, I have 0 experience with the pump/ filter all-in-one units, so can't say if you could just remove the filtering unit and vac to waste that way :(

Brian, I assume that the pic was taken before the system was fired up -- if it hasn't been done, remove the tape from the band on your filter (that little white tag says the same thing :wink: ) and get the cardboard box off the heater before you operate it! As for the spigots on the effluent piping from the pumps, I'd imagine that the reduction from 2" to 3/4" would hinder your efforts to vac to waste via that - however, another 3- way valve installed just after the water temp sensor would allow you to shut off all water to the filter and send it out the other port (properly adapted to take a hose) to wherever you want to 'waste' the water.

Again, thanks RB for 'fluffing' this info - I'll keep my eye on this and try to answer any questions that come up :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
heatmisr said:
Thanks for digging this up! I have been trying to figure out how to do it since we still have a lot of gunk to get out of our pool.

Be careful not to try to vacuum up leaves or any big debris. Remember, all this stuff is still going through your pump, and could clog it up, too.

FWIW, I ended up removing the drain plug from my filter housing, and plumbed in a PVC ball valve with a bit of piping that I can connect a flexhose to. I did this more for draining the pool down for winterizing, but it would work well to vacuum to waste, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.