Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vaccuming to waste without a vaccum to waste option

1. Back To Top    #1

Vaccuming to waste without a vaccum to waste option

Waste posted this in another thread and I'd hate to see this excellent tidbit get lost

If you have a separate pump and filter which doesn't have a multiport -

Remove the filter element, if possible, and open the drain plug - attach a hose to it if you don't want to flood the filter pad area. Put plugs in any return ports, if you don't have a valve to kill the returns. Vacuum through the, now empty, filter.

Should be very helpful for those with cartridge or non-multi port filters

2. Back To Top    #2
    I have a cartridge filter. right above the pump is a faucet that will shoot out water if I turn them on while the pump is running. Is that vacumming to waste?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

3. Back To Top    #3
    Is the pump separate from the filter, or is it an all in one pump/filter?

Any chance you have a pic showing what you're talking about?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    Is the pump separate from the filter, or is it an all in one pump/filter?

Any chance you have a pic showing what you're talking about?
    Look right above both pumps and you can see the blue handles:

Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control

5. Back To Top    #5

Will the pump run properly if the pump and filter are all one unit? I have one of the little pumps that came with my quicset pool. For me to vac to waste I'd have to disconnect the return from the pool and drop it on the ground.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

6. Back To Top    #6
    Tagprod, if you had a valve between the filter and the pump that you could close so all flow was directed out of the faucet, then I'd think you could. However, you'd be reducing diameter quite a bit, and I don't know what issues that might cause.

If nothing else, the method waste described should work, I'd think.

7. Back To Top    #7

Rangeball, thanks for quoting me and letting more people know of the method It started, for me, as a way for folks with Hayward cart or EC filters to reduce the need for cleaning the filters when they open the pool to a 'swamp' (The EC filters - bump style DE filters- cannot have the fingers removed, but this method does reduce the amt of 'crud' that will collect on the 'fingers', thereby reducing the need to break them down and manually clean them). There are other techs out there that recommend the same thing (there was a post last year from someone questioning the method, others posted that they thought it unworkable too but I supported it as being viable)

Crocket, I have 0 experience with the pump/ filter all-in-one units, so can't say if you could just remove the filtering unit and vac to waste that way

Brian, I assume that the pic was taken before the system was fired up -- if it hasn't been done, remove the tape from the band on your filter (that little white tag says the same thing ) and get the cardboard box off the heater before you operate it! As for the spigots on the effluent piping from the pumps, I'd imagine that the reduction from 2" to 3/4" would hinder your efforts to vac to waste via that - however, another 3- way valve installed just after the water temp sensor would allow you to shut off all water to the filter and send it out the other port (properly adapted to take a hose) to wherever you want to 'waste' the water.

Again, thanks RB for 'fluffing' this info - I'll keep my eye on this and try to answer any questions that come up
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8
    waste, yes - that pic was taken the day they set the equipment on the pad - well before it was all fired up.
    Brian

9. Back To Top    #9
    You're welcome, and I'm very glad to hand it off to ya...

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for digging this up! I have been trying to figure out how to do it since we still have a lot of gunk to get out of our pool.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

11. Back To Top    #11
    heatmisr, glad you found it. Your situation was one that was fresh on my mind when I read waste's post. Thought it was too good to get buried

Hope it helps.

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmisr
    Thanks for digging this up! I have been trying to figure out how to do it since we still have a lot of gunk to get out of our pool.
    Be careful not to try to vacuum up leaves or any big debris. Remember, all this stuff is still going through your pump, and could clog it up, too.

FWIW, I ended up removing the drain plug from my filter housing, and plumbed in a PVC ball valve with a bit of piping that I can connect a flexhose to. I did this more for draining the pool down for winterizing, but it would work well to vacuum to waste, too.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"