How to remove and prevent these persistent stains

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
Near the deep end of my pool there’s a big oak tree. When I opened the pool at the beginning of the season there was in the deep end's bottom some tree debris, including leaves and acorns. At the bottom nearby I found these stains which wouldn’t be removed with shocking or scraping. I wonder how to remove them and what are they made of. This year the amount f acorns is incredible because of the wet summer we had. I’m sure that when I will be closing soon, there will be no way to prevent acorns from falling in and it’d be too hard to fish them out.

3969027883_3fdc5b1273_o.jpg

3969800914_40099fd9c4_o.jpg

Typical water chemistry:

CYA 30
FC 2 - 2.5
CC < 0.5
pH 7.3 - 7.4
TA 90
CH 325
borates 50 ppm

I'm absolutely sure the stains are not metallic - their shape looks like an imprint of tree debris. I do have another long and wide stain near the central drain – it looks dark. Where do I get a big Vit C tablet?

[attachment=0:1qzpwbje]03_4A_resize.jpg[/attachment:1qzpwbje]

Attachments

• 03_4A_resize.jpg
    03_4A_resize.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 53
I have a large pin oak in my front yard which is constantly dropping accorns this time of year on my driveway. Each and every one leaves a brownish rusty spot, so that is more than likely your culprit. I know it is a pain, but I would get them out ASAP beacuse it seems I get new stains on my drive every day.

Those stains are common from many tree droppings...including leaves.

Prevention by early removal is the best way to handle them.

If you get them, elevate your level of chlorine for as long as it takes to get them removed. Brushing will help altho the effect will not be immediate.

duraleigh said:
Those stains are common from many tree droppings...including leaves.

Prevention by early removal is the best way to handle them.

If you get them, elevate your level of chlorine for as long as it takes to get them removed. Brushing will help altho the effect will not be immediate.
What about the long, dark stain near the drain? I inherited it with the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.