New Pool... Testing and Closing...

Suziqzer

TFP Expert
Sep 21, 2009
Greentown, IN
Hubby and I just bought and installed an ABG 24'x52" round pool last week, liner went in Sunday night and then we started filling with our neighbors city water (we have well water with loads of iron!)

I don't have a test kit yet... planning to order one and get it on it's way pronto, until then... I went to our local pool stores for an initial reading.

Here are my results...

Store A... Used drops that were read by a machine.
FC .4
TC .4
CC .0
TA 212
PH 7.9
CH 267
CYA 8

Store B... Didn't give me any numbers, just had a kid that did testing .... some strips and some drops, simply told me that I needed some Ph down. I asked him for more specifics and all he could say was that my PH was up a bit and that he wouldn't do anything else until spring. Wow!!! :roll:

Hubby is starting the pump tonight ... had to get the electrical in. Plan to run the pump and start some chlorine and stabilizer & test again soon- need to do my figures with pool school. Temps here have been on the cold side 40's at night and 60's during the day since we started adding water, so my concerns about algae are there but not terribly urgent.

Should I be too worried about trying to get the TA down now... or should I wait until spring? I've heard it's good to be as balanced as you can before you close to make the spring opening easier.

Also... was looking today for clearance pool stabilizer or shock with cya to get us started, didn't find any but came across a test kit at Wally World that was drops w/6 tests (sorry, don't remember what all they were now). The kit was from HTH and was clearanced to $19.95.... you don't know how tempted I was to grab one, but I wanted to be sure it was an ok purchase before I did so... they had several left... what do you think?

We won't get to swim before we close.. just getting to cold after an already cold season. So tempted to just jump in before we do close... just because I can't wait now for the swimming to begin. Nothing like putting in a pool and then starting to carry in firewood almost before the week is out!

For starters, I think your pool is 13,500.

Yes, get the Wallyworld drop kit if you plan to wait until spring to order the TF100. if you are ordering the kit now, then save your $20. That's not a clearance price tho - that's the regular price (at least around here).

I would get the TA lowered throught the "How to Lower TA" (instructions in Pool School) . Using the HTH 6 way kit to do that should work if you go that route, it's accurate enough.

That way you avoid any potential problems in the spring. You don't have to get it perfect, but I would try to get the TA down to 130 or so at the least. Close the pool with the PH about 7.4-7.5 and you should be ok.

I wouldn't worry about adding CYA right now if you won't be swimming - unless the pool is uncovered then you might find it at the pool store. Otherwise if you can't find stabilizer separately - see if they have granular "Dichlor" shock bags - a couple of those should get your stabilizer level up where it should be.

Thanks for your help.... just needed some guidance to get it ready to close. Was planning on doing what you suggested until the pool guy said he wouldn't bother with anything right now... made me question myself I guess.

So tempted to take a dip in the thing before we close it!! It's freezing cold, but don't know if I can wait until spring :?

Go ahead and get in!
Our pool was finished last month with water temp of 78. I went swimming, didn't feel too bad, especially when the sun was out.
Now that the temp is down to 74, it is quite a bit cooler. But, I still went in and even talked my wife into it. I bought the thing, I'm going to use it!
Heck, we might even do a Polar Bear swim on January 1.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.