Hubby and I just bought and installed an ABG 24'x52" round pool last week, liner went in Sunday night and then we started filling with our neighbors city water (we have well water with loads of iron!)
I don't have a test kit yet... planning to order one and get it on it's way pronto, until then... I went to our local pool stores for an initial reading.
Here are my results...
Store A... Used drops that were read by a machine.
Store B... Didn't give me any numbers, just had a kid that did testing .... some strips and some drops, simply told me that I needed some Ph down. I asked him for more specifics and all he could say was that my PH was up a bit and that he wouldn't do anything else until spring. Wow!!!
Hubby is starting the pump tonight ... had to get the electrical in. Plan to run the pump and start some chlorine and stabilizer & test again soon- need to do my figures with pool school. Temps here have been on the cold side 40's at night and 60's during the day since we started adding water, so my concerns about algae are there but not terribly urgent.
Should I be too worried about trying to get the TA down now... or should I wait until spring? I've heard it's good to be as balanced as you can before you close to make the spring opening easier.
Also... was looking today for clearance pool stabilizer or shock with cya to get us started, didn't find any but came across a test kit at Wally World that was drops w/6 tests (sorry, don't remember what all they were now). The kit was from HTH and was clearanced to $19.95.... you don't know how tempted I was to grab one, but I wanted to be sure it was an ok purchase before I did so... they had several left... what do you think?
We won't get to swim before we close.. just getting to cold after an already cold season. So tempted to just jump in before we do close... just because I can't wait now for the swimming to begin. Nothing like putting in a pool and then starting to carry in firewood almost before the week is out!