Gizmo bubbling

if a gizzmo with teflon tape bubbles, and a sp1022c plug with tape bubbles (unlikely unless not tightened [use can use a tool for extra leverage] or threads are damaged) then use a rubber plug, if a rubber plug still bubbles then use antifreeze in the line before installing the plug.

Welcome to TFP!!

Quick question - why the heck are you attempting to install a Gizzmo under pressure?? :scratch: (if the water can't be lowered, there are other ways of taking care of the skimmer, including adding antifreeze, but a normal Gizzmo isn't part of it :wink: )

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

Quick question - why the heck are you attempting to install a Gizzmo under pressure?? :scratch: (if the water can't be lowered, there are other ways of taking care of the skimmer, including adding antifreeze, but a normal Gizzmo isn't part of it :wink: )
Thanks.
I like this line of questioning as the skimmers have always been a pain in the you know at closing!
Simply put this was the way I saw the pool company close my pool -they blew out main drain and skimmers simultaneously. Monkey See Monkey Do.
Water can be lowered but Main Drain and skimmers are connected at the skimmer. Main Drain pressure is on the Gizzmo.
Do you have a better technique for closing?

the gizzmo is not good for pressure, I would use a sp1022c if it is a 1 1/2 line, if not then use a rubber plug. Regardless you will need to use a tool to get proper torque on either plug to get a proper seal to be "air tight"

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

After we install a gizzmo or similar plug we splash a little water into the skimmer and then put air pressure using the blower to see if there are any air bubbles, if there are bubbles then we address the problem with a different plug etc. Regardless if it is air-tight it will be water-tight. We are so anal. :)

Thanks. I will try the sp1022c.
Questions:
1) How do I avoid over torquing the threads? Something like 1/4 turn past finger tight? They are plastic and I've stripped way to many threads already in this lifetime.
2) What do you use to protect the skimmer from ice if no gizzmo is installed?
Again, I appreciate the info.

1. make sure to use teflon tape on the sp1022c, you can go pretty tight we actually use a ratchet with a custom blade on the end that fits into the slot of the sp1022c. If using a wingmaster tool to tighten I would go as tight as you can with one hand on the tool.
2. we use a 1 gallon pool antifreeze bottle or windshield washer fluid bottle, they come with a gap of air at the top; add sand or stone to the bottle until the fluid is to the brim and reattach the cap. Now the bottle won't float in the skimmer and won't freeze so it can be squished by ice.

There are actually 2 types of Gizmo, I use the one that has an opening and a plug on top and I have always installed it under pressure(ie. without lowering the water), water inside the pipes is blown out through the top hole of the Gizmo and I just place the plug on, job done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.