High pH in Bromine hot tub (stand alone)

amoses

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2009
Keene, Texas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Now that I am getting my pool under control, I am considering using BBB for my hot tub. However, most hot tub dealers recommend Bromine instead of Chlorine. They say it is more stable in the hot water. I did start checking my bromine and pH myself tonight. My pH is extremely high. I was wondering, is it okay to use MA to lower pH in a Bromine hot tub? The pH decreaser I have been buying does not work well. any recommendations on BBB vs Bromine are welcome.
Additionally, If I decide to just do the chlorine then do I have to drain? Or is Bromine close enough to chlorine that I can just switch?

BBB works well in a hot tub, that's what I do. I have never tried bromine so I can't offer any help there. But, I believe that if you already added bromine, then you are stuck with it until your next water change.

If you look in Pool School, near the bottom is a Further Reading article, and near the bottom of that are pointers to articles about using chlorine and bromine in a spa.

The main issue with using muriatic in a hot tub is that you need fairly small quantities and that can be a little tricky to manage without spilling. I use dry acid (sodium bisulfate) a spoonful at a time works fine.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.