Help: My pool is leaking!

Jun 15, 2008
Nashville, TN
OMG I had just wrote a huge message and accidentally clicked the back button on my browser before I submitted it and lost it....AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!! Anyway, here goes again...

My pool is leaking and I need serious help. First let me give a little history on my pool.

I have a 24' round above ground pool in it's 3rd season. The first season I used Baquacil and had tons of problems. The 2nd season I started with Baquacil only to have my problems return and that's when I found this site. I switched to the BBB method after about a month into the 2nd season with outstanding results and have been a happy pool chemist ever since. This season I opened my pool to clear water with still a slight chlorine residue and had it balanced and running in no time. Until about 2 months ago when I noticed I was losing a little more water than normal.

I was having to fill the pool every 2-3 days. My water bill was expensive that 1st month too! I checked the pump equipment but did not see any leaking there. I did not see any abnormal water around my pool either and not suprisingly since it's been raining like crazy here. I had tried to find the leak myself by jumping in with a snorkel and mask for several hours with no luck. There was one spot on one of the seems that looked a little suspicious but didn't appear to be leaking from there. I was pretty sure it wasn't the pump equipment but I decided to let the pool leak till it stopped. It eventually stopped leaking about 1 foot below the return jets. This confirmed it was not the pump so I started looking for leaks where the water stopped. Still nothing.

That's when I decided to call the pool store for help. I was told that even though the pool stopped leaking at a certain point it could still be on the bottom because the water pressure could be lessened. He told me he could send someone out to find the leak for $130. I was willing to try anything so I said ok. I had to fill my pool back up and get the water clean again since it got nasty in those 2 weeks.

So, the guy just left. I explained all the above to him and he grabbed my pool brush and walked around the pool trying to see if he could find anything. He asked if I had anything under my steps which I didn't and he said the leak was probably there. We removed the steps and he still didn't see anything. He didn't want to but decided he would have to jump in and look. The water is freaking freezing since it's getting cooler and there is a lot of fresh water in the pool. He still couldn't find the leak. I showed him the spot where the liner was seperating and he didn't think it was leaking from there either.

He asked me what chemicals I was using. This is where I got nervous. I told him bleach. he had this strange look on his face and said well you can't balance a pool with just bleach. So I explained that I also use, borax and baking soda as well as muritic acid and CYA from walmart. He said that's your problem, your buying chemicals from walmart. I was like well I'm not buying there chlorine tablets or other chemicals, it's just straight cyuranic acid. He told me I probably had a ton of pin holes from the walmart chemicals.

I was not sure what to say at this point. He seemed like a nice enough guy and didn't come off as a jerk or anything. He eventually patched the spot where the seam was and said let's see if it stops leaking. If it does we know it was the seam and we can get a new liner for free since it's under warranty and if it still leaks than I have pin holes and the liner needs to be replaced. He didn't charge me anything and left.

I could be writing this a little premature as the seam could be the problem. But I still don't think it is. But I am a little concerned. Could I have pin holes in my liner from CYA from walmart? I never used any walmart chemicals other than straight CYA. Could Walmart's CYA be different than anyone elses? Could any other chemicals cause it like muriatic acid? I know that stuff is nasty.

1st season - Baquacrap!
2nd season - more Baqucrap and then the conversion!
3rd season - Leak!

I am ready to tear the pool down and throw it in the garbage at this point. I just want at least one troublefreepool season!

hokey71 said:
Could I have pin holes in my liner from CYA from walmart? I never used any walmart chemicals other than straight CYA. Could Walmart's CYA be different than anyone elses?

I don't own an AG pool, so my thoughts are based largely on what I've read:

Cyanuric Acid (CYA) causing pinholes? I think that would be a first, whether purchased at WalMart or any place else.

Could any other chemicals cause it like muriatic acid? I know that stuff is nasty.

If you poured at lot of Muriatic Acid (MA) -- or another strong chemical -- directly into your pool, with no filtering (ie., the pump turned off) and let it sit there with no circulation, I can imagine some sort of damage to the liner, but even then, I think it's unlikely to be the culprit. Much more likely: separation of a seam or a small hole caused by physical damage (from an accidental poke with a hard object, say, a brush or water pistol, etc.)

Hey Hokey, Don't give up. Don't believe that about the WalMart chems. 100% Cyanuric Acid, is 100% Cyanuric Acid, I don't care who you buy it from.

I'm betting the leak is at the "suspicious" seam place. Too bad he didn't use the food coloring leak detection. That way you would have proof whether it was the seam or not and wouldn't have to wait to "see" if it kept leaking.

Good luck with it and hang in there! Next year is your year. You'll have a troublefree pool yet! :goodjob:

The guy wasn't too prepared. He asked if I had any food coloring which I didn't. I got the feeling he expected to show up and me show him the leak and then he would patch it. Duh! If it was that easy I would've done it myself.

I did use a little more muriatic acid than I expected in the first part of the year but I always poured it in while the pump was circulating and I leave my pump on 24/7. I also didn't pour large amounts in at any one time either. I just had to use i a little bit 2-3 times in the first part of the season and never more than a pint or so at a time.

Thanks for the replies. I am watching my pool to see what happens now.

I have an IG plaster, but know how easily liners can be cut as my uncle seemed to go through one a year - mostly due to the kids playing with toys they should not have in the pool. He eventually filled the pool in.

My PB threw the CYA right into the pool and let it sit at the bottom. He told us we could swim around, it would not hurt us, but that it would feel like sand at the bottom. I have really good circulation and it dissolved within a day. But could those granuals if walked on damage a liner?

It eventually stopped leaking about 1 foot below the return jets.
If your pool stopped leaking at that point, why do you think that's not level where the leak is?

Did you attempt a partial refill above that leak to see if it would leak down to that point and stop again?

duraleigh said:
It eventually stopped leaking about 1 foot below the return jets.
If your pool stopped leaking at that point, why do you think that's not level where the leak is?

Did you attempt a partial refill above that leak to see if it would leak down to that point and stop again?

The guy at the pool place said that the pressure could have lessoned on the bottom of the pool and at that point the hole could somewhat seal itself and not leak anymore. It makes sense to me and it seems to be esxactly what happened.

So the update is that the patch the pool guy made at the seam did in fact stop the leak and they are supposed to give me a new liner. I closed the pool today and will continue to use the current liner unless it springs another leak I can't patch but I should have a spare liner by then. And the patch at the seam is well below where the pool stopped leaking as well so the theory that the pressure could cause it to leak seems dead on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.