Algaecide Expiration?

Aug 7, 2009
Does algaecide expire? Reason I ask is that I used a quart of it last year when closing. Bought one of those corny overpriced winterizing kits, not knowing any better.

Previous owners left a bunch of unused chemicals, most of which didn't apply anymore, so I pitched them. I have one gallon of algaecide. I see no expiration on it, like I did on the rest of the chemicals. Does this stuff go bad? I'm guessing it's probably 3 years old, but still unopened.

Greg

AquaChem

40% alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride.
60% inert.

I'm thinking this might not be strong enough on the closing side, but better for the opening side of things. I remember using 60% last year.

Cool. So, here's this. I know that there is a recent post about 60% strength, but will 40% be okay to use? I plan on closing Saturday, and would rather not go back to the pool store.

Greg

The strength is not relevant except for the economics. You just use more of a lower strength product. In the case of your linear quat, just use the recommended amount for closing which should be higher (about double or triple) the maintenance amount they normally recommend.

Awesome. Also, just finished reading the similar post, stating that algaecides aren't really required for closing, since water temps are generally low enough to prevent algae growth. I'll throw some in anyway.

Thanks a ton.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.