Opening Numbers

Apr 16, 2007
Bucks Count PA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my Taylor test kit and will put it into use this week. In the meantime I went to the pool store and had them test the water. I feel comfortable with this pool store because last year 3 of 4 samples I brought to them they told me I didn'y need to adjust the water. So they don't shove chemicals down my throat. These are there numbers

PH 8
Ta 80
Calcium Hardness 170
CYA 105
Chlorine 3.5

They told me not to buy anything now, but to do a partial drain and get the CYA down. Because anything I put in now will be drained and the water chemistry will change with the addition of new water.

What Do you guys think? I was going to double check the CYA with my Taylor kit.

16X32 Grecian Vinyl with spill over spa

From what you have said it sounds like you have a decent pool store. I would listen to them. Are they testing with a LaMotte Waterlink Express? The numbers that they gave you look like they might.
At any rate, your CYA is much too high and I applaud your pool store for telling you to do a drain and refill before anything else. It is sound advice!

I am not sure what method they use. It is possible for CYA testing they put the pool water in something and pull a plunger up down to get a reading? They definitely do not use test strips all I see them do is put drops in viles to test the water.

Thanks for the quick response!!!! :D :D

Sunny,

Absolutely double check their numbers with your Taylor kit. Post 'em up here and you'll get some good opinions. The pool store made a lot of sense in what they said but there's nothing better than your own tests to tell you where your pool is.

Your pool store is doing a standard melamine precipitation CYA test (and porbably using Taylor reagents). This test cannot accurately test CYA above 100 ppm so your 105 ppm CYA is suspect. However you know that it is high so drain and refill!

I confirmed this morning that the CYA was 100 on my Taylor kit. I drained about 12 inches of water this morning and currently refilling. I hope that I can get the CYA down to 70 this time around.

The pool store recommended that on a regular basis vaccuum to waste to drain water and refill since I am using the frog which adds stabalizer. I know that many use bleach and I should switch but the pool is 5 years old and this is the first time that we had a problem with CYA.

sunnydays said:
I confirmed this morning that the CYA was 100 on my Taylor kit. I drained about 12 inches of water this morning and currently refilling. I hope that I can get the CYA down to 70 this time around.

The pool store recommended that on a regular basis vaccuum to waste to drain water and refill since I am using the frog which adds stabalizer. I know that many use bleach and I should switch but the pool is 5 years old and this is the first time that we had a problem with CYA.
The Frog is a metal ion system. It uses silver and zinc. Silver is bacteriostatic but with very slow kill times. Zinc has no effect as far as I know and all references to zinc have recently been taken off their website. Resent reseach has shown that you need a miminum 2 ppm FC and NOT the .5 ppm that the Frog suggests. IMHO, it's really not doing much for you except draining your wallet.

I don't keep the chlorine as low as they tell you. My porblem is that is difficult for me to get out of the comfort zone that I am currently in with the FROG.

I usually pay between $12-$14 for a cartridge and it usually lasts between 10-14 days not too bad in my book.

My wife would have a heart attck if I told her I was going to put laundry bleach in the pool, she just doesn't get it. When I mentioned a SWC she said she doesn't want to swim in salty water even though I explained that wasn't the case.

I have salt in my pool but dont have a SWG. Tell her you wont taste the salt and it makes the skin feel softer. Salt doesnt soften the water but decreses the osmotic pressure of the water with a result of decresed pruney fingers or drying of the skin.
Steve

UPDATE

I drained 12 inches of water yesterday in my 16x32 pool with a deep end and replaced it with "Fresh" water. My Taylor test kit still says 100 CYa and the pool store says 105 CYA. Is it possible to remove that much water and still have the same CYA?

What is going on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, if you CYA is above 100 ppm the test is not able to tell exactly how high it is. 12 inches of water is not very much. Also if your CYA has been high for a while it is very possible that some has deposited in the plumbing and will continue to dissolve as the level drops.

Update

Cl 3.0
CC 0
TC 3.0
PH 7.4
CH 180
CYA 60
TA 60

I was able to get the CYA down from 100 to 60 will continues to lower it a little more with vaccuum to waste and refill with fresh water.

What do you think about the numbers I know I need to get the chlorine up.

sunnydays said:
Update

Cl 3.0
CC 0
TC 3.0
PH 7.4
CH 180
CYA 60
TA 60

I was able to get the CYA down from 100 to 60 will continues to lower it a little more with vaccuum to waste and refill with fresh water.

Hi, Sunny,

Pretty good numbers!! Other than the Cl, I would address the Alk and get it up in the 90-120 range and your all set for a Summer of crystal clear water

sunnydays said:
Update

Cl 3.0
CC 0
TC 3.0
PH 7.4
CH 180
CYA 60
TA 60

Hi, Sunny,

Pretty good numbers!! Other than the Cl, I would address the Alk and get it up in the 90-120 range and your all set for a Summer of crystal clear water

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.