Installing Stone Coping...

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I've got an 18X36 Steel Walled Vinyl Lined pool here in Massachusetts. It currently has aluminum bullnose coping that I am replacing with track/cantilever coping to hold up the liner, and then stone coping on top.

I called up 2 paver companies to ask about the best installation method for the stone. One said mortar/concrete (lathe added to hold it). The other said just use adhesive and add mortar as a grout.

Which is the better or more proper method? Anything other instructions also? Like "First apply with x acid to properly clean surface"... Seems like there should be more.

Also, is there anything I should do to ensure that I can replace the liner later, or will that be fine?

Thanks!

dholland17 said:
I was told to pour an 8' wide and deep concrete footer to then glue to paver coping to. Thanks

No, you dont need to do that. The debate over the mortor or adhesive is pretty old. The truth is you can probably do either and it would be just as good. If you use a stone like flagestone or limestone, mortor is prefered. If you go with a bullnosed, cantilever brick like a Unilock product, I think you could use a high quality adhesive and be fine, although if it were me I'd use mortor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.