Before Polaris was bright blue...

Jun 30, 2007
North Florida
...was their background color a blue-green, or teal? Any guesses how long ago that might have been?

I'm curious because I bought a replacement part for my Polaris 280 and the background color of the package is quite different from the bright, marine blue that's current. It also turns out the plastic parts (wear rings) are yellowed and very hard, as if this part is very old stock.

dawndenise said:
...was their background color a blue-green, or teal? Any guesses how long ago that might have been?

I'm curious because I bought a replacement part for my Polaris 280 and the background color of the package is quite different from the bright, marine blue that's current. It also turns out the plastic parts (wear rings) are yellowed and very hard, as if this part is very old stock.
Not sure about if/when/whether the Polaris packaging was updated, but the plastic parts of a cleaner in a box purported to be new should not be yellow and hard. This product sounds like it has been sitting in a 115 degree warehouse (or store window) for years... or is a reconditioned (read: used) product that you had the misfortune to purchase. Return it!

dawndenise said:

Over the years I've purchased several sets of wear rings. Last, that I can remember, purchased from pool store, brick and mortar, were slightly yellowed. Must have been a couple of years ago at least. I just ordered some from on line and they were white as snow. These were "official" Polaris parts. I was surprised at how white they are. It seems to me that I've never purchased any that were snow white like the ones I just got. I've had Polaris 280's since they first came out. I've had to replace them, 280, mostly because my dogs "rescue' and then "kill" them. The first thing to go, of course, is the tails. :roll:
gg=alice

This product sounds like it has been sitting in a 115 degree warehouse (or store window) for years.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the package. Guess I got what I paid for - luckily not too much!

I just ordered some from on line and they were white as snow.

That's more like what I expected.

Thanks for the replies!! :goodjob:

When we bought our house, the wear rings on the Polaris were a hard, yellow-clear plastic of some type. They wore like iron. When I finally had to replace the tail, it came with the new solid-white wear rings. They seem to be softer and wear faster. Perhaps the nice folks at Polaris made the change to increase their revenue flow a bit? :x

When the wear rings first came out, They were a yellowish color, and a little harder than the new ones.
The teal colored parts probably were in some guys repair vehicle for a couple of years before he got fired and his truck got cleaned out.

HarryH3 said:
Perhaps the nice folks at Polaris made the change to increase their revenue flow a bit? :x

Perhaps more likely they got tired of all the complaints about how difficult it was to get those super hard rings put on the tail hose! :rant:

Sheesh...I just managed to get my "new" hard rings put on the Polaris and it was a chore! Who knew I should have been doing bench presses with my fingers in order to open up those rings far enough to go around the tail hose.

dawndenise said:
Perhaps more likely they got tired of all the complaints about how difficult it was to get those super hard rings put on the tail hose! :rant:

Sheesh...I just managed to get my "new" hard rings put on the Polaris and it was a chore! Who knew I should have been doing bench presses with my fingers in order to open up those rings far enough to go around the tail hose.

The white ones are definitely easier to put on. I put them on this time without using any tools. With yellow/clear ones I sometimes used pliers to get them open.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HarryH3 said:
Must be a girl thing... (Running for cover!) :wink: :wink: :wink: The yellow ones were more difficult to install, but they also lasted much longer than the new white ones. :(

:wink: I totally agree and I would prefer the old style especially in my plaster pool. With fall and leaves coming soon P-280 will get a real workout; about 8-10 hours/day. I do have three 280 leaf bags and have to be here when running pump because of the extreme amounts of leaves. Just installed my PoolSkim (that I've had uninstalled for 2 years) and thinking about installing a second one and getting extra bags. Skimmer fills up in a few minutes during really bad leaf falling time.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.