Anyone have an inflatable hot tub that's more than 2 years old?

Jul 5, 2018
Lehigh Valley, PA
For the last few years I've been fighting the urge to get an Intex hot tub. They're cheap, comes in a box, easy to set up/maintain, cheap, we have the space on our lower patio (concrete slab with the upper patio serving as a roof), it would let us test the waters to see if we want to invest $5k+ in a permanent hot tub...plus it's cheap! I do my homework whenever I buy something and looking at all the reviews and the pros and cons, these seem like they are pretty prone to having issues, but from what I've seen they are issues I could probably fix when it comes to the pump/heater. And I would just hope the seams don't leak requiring a ton of patching.

But across the net, I can't say I've seen ANY video or reply anywhere raving about their Intex hot tub that is still running strong after 2+ years of use. At most, these are lasting one year, people put them away, bring them out whenever, set them up and rave about the past year's experience....but there's no continuity after that point.

Do these ever last more than a year or are they like a German car.... fully loaded with engineered obsolescence? It's okay with me if they are designed to be disposable so long as we can test it out to see just how much we would be using a hot tub. I'm just curious...

Thanks!! :)

Save your money. I have one, but it's not currently in use. I'm on my third liner, and it has a leak. I'm also on my second pump unit. And this was the $900 supposedly deluxe model with the massage jets. We had some fun with it, but I wouldn't do it again given the opportunity.

Save your money. I have one, but it's not currently in use. I'm on my third liner, and it has a leak. I'm also on my second pump unit. And this was the $900 supposedly deluxe model with the massage jets. We had some fun with it, but I wouldn't do it again given the opportunity.

Given that these cost less than a normal hot tub's cover, and they are guaranteed for at least one year, it's perfect for my purposes even if it's in a landfill in 1-2 years. If my family and I use it 3 times over a year and it's not for us, cool, I just saved $5k+ and it's disposable. If we are in it on a daily basis like a bunch of otters for a year straight, great! Then I'll spend the money on a good one.

While I'm brand new to the forum, and I love the IDEA of a hot tub, most people that I know that have owned them give the same advice you initially did but about hot tubs in general. I just want to see for myself. But like I said, I was curious if anyone's managed to get these to last for more than a year or two.

Thanks!

My thoughts pretty well mirrored yours. This was a trial, and I think we established that we would like a more permanent hot tub. We did use it fairly regularly. But it just became a hassle for a couple of reasons:

First, it always eventually leaked air. The first two liners gave out completely. The last one was still usable, but had to be aired up each time you wanted to use it.

Secondly, although it has a SWG, unlike the pool model, it only runs once each time you press the button. It does not come on daily like the pool model does. So you either have to remember to turn it on each day or dose manually with chlorine or you're going to take the cover off to a green tub.

We got a full two years out of ours, and I've actually considered setting it back up again. I may go for it once the weather starts cooling off again this fall.

My thoughts pretty well mirrored yours. This was a trial, and I think we established that we would like a more permanent hot tub. We did use it fairly regularly. But it just became a hassle for a couple of reasons:

First, it always eventually leaked air. The first two liners gave out completely. The last one was still usable, but had to be aired up each time you wanted to use it.

Secondly, although it has a SWG, unlike the pool model, it only runs once each time you press the button. It does not come on daily like the pool model does. So you either have to remember to turn it on each day or dose manually with chlorine or you're going to take the cover off to a green tub.

We got a full two years out of ours, and I've actually considered setting it back up again. I may go for it once the weather starts cooling off again this fall.

Ok, so you came from the same perspective then.

SWG....what's that actually stand for? As for keeping it clean I already have a big bottle of Chlorine tablets but I might go Bromine in the floating thingy because I think it's less harsh on the skin. I thought that the pump stayed on 24/7 and that the pump is what conditioned the water (no salt needed)...rather than just once whenever you push a button. No?

Now you say you got two years but with leaks and liner issues....did Intex just keep replacing them over the first year and then you got a full year out of the last replacement? If not how did you get one of them to last a year? I've read Intex has excellent customer service. So I'm almost hoping I get some solid quality time out of the tub but that it eventually does have a problem so I can get a replacement sent for free....to get more use out of it.

Thanks!

SWG is saltwater generator. I had hoped to use this alone to keep my spa chlorinated, but as I stated, because it doesn't run automatically like I expected, this didn't pan out.

You have to be careful using tablets, as a) they make your water very acidic and that's what causes skin irritation, and b) solid forms of chlorine add stabilizer to your water. The stabilizer builds up to a point that it renders your chlorine ineffective at sanitizing your tub. For this reason, I only add the desired amount of stabilizer to my water and then rely upon non-stabilized liquid chlorine, aka bleach, to chlorinate my tub. This is the essence of the TFP method.

My first liner lasted about 4 months. It had a slow leak along one seam that progressively got worse until I came home one day and the spa had collapsed and all the water had run out. Intex replaced it and the second liner ruptured internally within a couple of days. They replaced that one as well.

The third liner has lasted until now, although it's been in storage since last fall. It leaks down slowly and also leaks water into the cavity somehow. When i went to empty it, there was quite a bit of water trapped inside. I was never able to determine where it was leaking.

SWG is saltwater generator. I had hoped to use this alone to keep my spa chlorinated, but as I stated, because it doesn't run automatically like I expected, this didn't pan out.

You have to be careful using tablets, as a) they make your water very acidic and that's what causes skin irritation, and b) solid forms of chlorine add stabilizer to your water. The stabilizer builds up to a point that it renders your chlorine ineffective at sanitizing your tub. For this reason, I only add the desired amount of stabilizer to my water and then rely upon non-stabilized liquid chlorine, aka bleach, to chlorinate my tub. This is the essence of the TFP method.

My first liner lasted about 4 months. It had a slow leak along one seam that progressively got worse until I came home one day and the spa had collapsed and all the water had run out. Intex replaced it and the second liner ruptured internally within a couple of days. They replaced that one as well.

The third liner has lasted until now, although it's been in storage since last fall. It leaks down slowly and also leaks water into the cavity somehow. When i went to empty it, there was quite a bit of water trapped inside. I was never able to determine where it was leaking.

I thought instead of saltwater the Intex had some mechanism that de-ionized the water or something else scientific sounding. So nothing other than the shock/cleaner type things were needed.

Of all the vids I see 99% of people seem to be doing the floaty thing with bromine and then maybe a bottle or two of other chems to "calm it down"/etc. I probably should educate myself on it so I don't end up in a dermatologist's office.

Thanks for sharing about the liners. I'll have to keep en eye on things. Did you run yours year round? If not, at what temp did you pack it up and/or bring it back out?

Thanks!

We left it up year-round the first year. It cools off pretty quickly though in the winter after you take the cover off. It would lose a couple of degrees per hour, more if you ran the bubbles.

We left it up year-round the first year. It cools off pretty quickly though in the winter after you take the cover off. It would lose a couple of degrees per hour, more if you ran the bubbles.

My hope is that if I put a layer of insulation sheathing/board under it, and if need be on top of it, that it will maintain the heat and keep the electric bill from spiking. Doesn't help once we're in it with the cover off though.

I thought instead of saltwater the Intex had some mechanism that de-ionized the water or something else scientific sounding. So nothing other than the shock/cleaner type things were needed.

Of all the vids I see 99% of people seem to be doing the floaty thing with bromine and then maybe a bottle or two of other chems to "calm it down"/etc. I probably should educate myself on it so I don't end up in a dermatologist's office.
Sudo-science "or something". Pretend it doesn't exist. Use chlorine or bromine, either one. Follow this guide for chlorine or this one for bromine.

My hope is that if I put a layer of insulation sheathing/board under it, and if need be on top of it, that it will maintain the heat and keep the electric bill from spiking. Doesn't help once we're in it with the cover off though.
Yes, that will help. Not perfect but depends on ambient environment. I did that for ours. I set ours up inside our "unheated" garage. I never saw it get below 50 °F, but the concrete was 50 as well, and there is almost no insulation on the bottom (tiny bubble wrap liner is all you get). I did some rough energy loss calculations that suggested I was loosing roughly 550 watts of heat through the bottom alone, and that adding 1.5" rigid foam board would drop that to 43 watts, saving 375 kWh ($40 @ $0.11/kWh) a month in standby losses. Unfortunately I couldn't find my power meter to do before/after measurements, but my electric bill did drop, and the temp loss with cover dropped as well...but didn't go away. With cover off, and insulation, at 50 °F ambient I'd loose about 1 °F per hour (more like 3 °F an hour before insulation) with no bubbles starting at 99 °F, our preferred temp. It took both the bottom insulation and ambient temps getting back up to around 60-65 °F in the garage before it could hold temp around 99 °F with the cover off and no bubbles. Definitely get insulation to put it on, and keep my rough temps and temp loss in mind if you want to put this outside where it'll get colder.

More information: I got ours for my wife and I at Christmas. It's a "6-person" hot tub (more like 4 unless you like lots of touching legs). At first we were in it every day, that tapered down until we were only it in a couple times a week. Spring hit, and eventually I took it down after I realized it was warm enough I didn't feel like getting into a hot tub and neither of us had been in it in two or three weeks. So it's probably only had about 4 months of runtime so far. I'll be setting it back up when cool fall temps hit. Unlike some of the stories I've heard, I had zero air loss in the tub. I filled it up and 4 months later when I took it down it was still nice and stiff. In fact I haven't bothered to deflate it, I simply drained it and then stood it up on it's side in the garage.

On initial filling where it might be 70 °F or less, the temp will rise about 2 °F per hour. This drops to 1 °F, or less, per hour in the 90's and above. So you have to keep it at temp all the time, unless going on a long trip. This means no dropping it down in temp to save money and heating it half an hour before getting into it, like you can with a real spa. An annoyance is that after 3 days of time, the pump (and so heater) will shut off. So if you don't use it for 4 days, you may come in to use it only to find it shut off, dropped 10 °F, and it'll take till tomorrow to reheat. If you use chlorine as I do, you'll be in there at least every-other day to add some, so just power the tub off and on again using the control panel to reset the shut-off timer when you test/add chlorine.

The bubbles...well, first off, I may be biased, as I dislike bubbles in other hot tubs as well. By other I mean public ones, the only ones I'd ever been in before this. (and now think hard about if I really want to get into them. The side affect of learning to take care of your own water: You learn that most people don't take good care of their water and it starts giving you the heebie-jeebies when you think about getting into a spa/pool that's not yours). Anyhow, back to the bubbles. They advertise them as being massage bubbles, and there sure are a lot of them. But I wouldn't say they do much massaging. The air blower is annoyingly loud and high-pitched. A normal 120 V circuit can only supply 1800 watts and the NEC says that any permanent device can only draw 3/4 of that, which is 1350 watts, so the hot tub has a 1300 watt heater and 50 watt pump. But the air blower takes 800 W (don't quote that), so your 1300 watt heater drops to half power or so when you turn the air pump on. So now you have half your marginal heat, and tons and tons of agitation from the bubbles, causing rapid heat loss. I think at 50 °F ambient, I could loose 4 °F in 20 minutes! On the flip side, they are excellent for stirring up the hot tub, which makes the acid and aeration portion of the initial fill water balance go really fast.

Get a pack of filters with the tub. Mine uses two, and says to change every week. That seemed excessive to me from looking at them. I found that one had much more waterflow through it than the other (the one by the pump), so I'd remove and throw out the one by the pump, move the other one to the pump side, and put a new one in the one away from the pump. I'd do this every week or two, depending on how much we used the tub. This means 1 filter every week or two instead of two every week like they say.

Don't skimp on a test kit. You're looking at $75-$125 depending on kit and if you get the SpeedStir (get it). Cheap kits, or worse, test strips, cannot tell you what you need to properly take care of your water. Avoid pool stores. They test water for free, then conveniently tell you what you need to add. See any issues with this? They rely on people not learning anything to sell loads of overpriced pool chemicals, when they could be buying dirt cheap common chemicals from any big box store instead. Below is my set of "pool chemicals" and test kit. Everything I needed to take care of my spa (except I forgot to throw the borax into the picture). You'll note only one is actually a pool/spa brand, and also the most expensive of the chemicals. And I use only a tiny portion of it, it'll last for years with a spa. Bottom line is this site saves you from buying all sorts of expensive pool chemicals the pool store or other sites will tell you to buy, and asks you nicely to buy an expensive test kit with some of the savings instead.

2018-02-24_04-40-37 by jseyfert3, on Flickr

Seats: Well, here's the biggest downside in my book. It's sure nice to soak in a big tub, don't get me wrong there. I'll actually read a book or my tablet and spend literally hours in the tub at a go if I have it at just the right temp. But what I wish for is a nice reclining seat. Of course you get those with a real spa, and this was a temporary one. What it told us it that we like it, and we would probably like a real spa even more. People with real spas report that nothing's better than sitting in the spa, sipping a drink, as snow falls around you. That sounds amazing. But you won't be doing that with an inflatable spa. Bottom line: I think it's a great way to see if you would like a spa. And if you do and you decide to upgrade, remember that the test kit will work just fine on a real spa too. Did I say it enough? No? Get the right test kit! ;) (Sorry, some people balk at getting a good test kit, but you can't take care of a spa/pool properly with the wrong kit, and we can't help you either if we don't have the right numbers)

Do it! :thumleft:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing I would point out is that you can get a nice plug and play solid tub for $2700 delivered to your door including shipping. There is no installation. All you need is a level concrete or gravel pad and a 120 volt outlet or 240 volt service. These have a heater that can run at 120 or 240 volts and include a good cover. I have one that I use all winter outside in Michigan. It costs very little to run and holds the temp when in use, even in the winter. I've used it in temps as low as 10 degrees. A fresh fill will heat up fast (a few hours) in temps below 40 if you use the 240 volt heater.

This is the tub I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Ho...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0713TGHVM

$2000 on amazon. It's made by Strong Spas and has decent components. It's small. Good for 2 people.

Wow!! That's a DEAL!!

But like I said I need to try it first to make sure we'll use it. I'd rather waste $300-$400 than $2000+ (whatever accessories/maintenance costs).

Thanks for sharing that though, that's awesome!! Never saw ones that big/complete that cheap!!

You can currently buy a coleman brand 4 person inflatable spa for $349 from walmart with free in store pickup. If you pay the extra 20 dollars they will give you a 2 year replacement plan which I would highly recommend because the pump bases are extremely troublesome . so for $369 dollars you get at least 2 years of having a spa experience. I have a intex 4 person octagon shaped inflatable spa that i bought used for 200 dollars that i have been enjoying for about 6 months, stays at 104 and the bubbles are extremely powerful. I have it installed on concrete but i put puzzle piece foam underneath it so the bottom stays soft to sit on. Would i enjoy having a professional grade spa? Sure, but not for over ten times what i paid for mine. I can also easily take mine down and move it to a new house if i need to or take it to a campground or something if i desire to. The issues i have had with mine have been my pump base throwing error codes but then again i bought it used and you get what you pay for luckily i am semi handy with tools and was able to take the base apart and fix the issues. If i had it to do again i would have just spent the extra money and bought the coleman one from walmart and have a 2 year replacement plan. But inflatable spas are awesome.

Funny you should mention this topic. I am on my 3rd season with my Bestway Miami (aka Saluspa, Coleman). There are several things that IMHO can greatly increase the lives of these inflatable tubs:

1) Never run them in temps below 40 degrees F (unless you are keeping it inside of course)

2) Keep it under some form of cover and not just setting it in the middle of an open lawn or patio. The additional exposure to the elements greatly decreases the life of the tub

3) Make sure you properly maintain the filtration system and change the filters after every use

4) Make sure you blow out the pump every season before storing it.

5) Drain and spray out/clean the tub every 4-6 weeks to keep debris from building up/clogging the filtration system

If you adhere to the aforementioned you can get several years use out of your tub

I am on my 3rd Season (running from mid-April to mid-October) with my Bestway Miami (aka Saluspa, Coleman) and I did a comprehensive 2 part review of it here:

3 year Review of the Bestway Saluspa Lay-Z-Spa Miami part 1 - YouTube

3 year Review of the Bestway Saluspa Lay-Z-Spa Miami part 2 - YouTube

I went down this same path for pretty much the same reasons a few years ago. Didn't want to spend a bundle to find out if we would use a hot tub or not. The plan was to use it four seasons including freezing winter temps.

I bought an inflatable for $800 (CDN). Worked great but was kind of loud, expensive to heat. It either heats or bubbles - not both. pump/heater died twice (1st time it was replaced under warranty, 2nd time and the whole package it went in the trash) within 2 years.

Since then I bought a used Softtub 300 for $200 and had a new cover and liner put on it. Looks like new.

- Heating is very efficient (120V, no heater - it draws heat from the pump motor)
- $10-ish/month to run
- has a bunch of proper jets
- multi-coloured LED, etc
- Liner and cover expected to last 5+ years
- weighs about 85lbs including hydropack - just roll it to where you want it.

Cost me $1,100 USD all-tolled.

Wish I never wasted my cash on an inflatable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.