Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slippery steps

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Slippery steps

The steps in my fiberglass pool are very slippery. The previous owners stuck some bathtub stickers on the edge of the pool which does help the traction there. Seems like a good idea, but not helpful for underwater.

I need to put in handrails, which may be the only helpful addition possible w/o draining the pool. Does anyone know of a way to provide some traction on those steps W/O draining??
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

2. Back To Top    #2
    Someone previously suggested surfboard traction tape.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Good idea. We use that on the pvc shower perches we make for parrots. Great grip. The steps need to be clean (no oily spots, dirt) and dry when applying or you will have areas lifting.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

A suggestion is to apply this during spring opening, lower water to get the steps dry, then apply, it works wonders.

5. Back To Top    #5

suction cup bath mat

I had the same thing. I went to walmart and purchased a clear bath mat with little bumps all over it and suction cups on the bottom. We feel its a big improvement on grip and seems to be staying put very well. Its been in the water 3 weeks and all is well. It cost me $5 and I cut it into three pieces for the steps. I can take a picture if that helps. Let me know.

Ls
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator
    Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chemgeek

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict
    A suggestion is to apply this during spring opening, lower water to get the steps dry, then apply, it works wonders.
    I don't close my pool.

Sounds like the bathmat would be my best bet!

Thanks all.
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

7. Back To Top    #7
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

I am sure you could apply this with water up with that vinyl repair glue?