Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I *please* just drain my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I *please* just drain my pool?

It was replastered last year - we're not using it anymore. We live in AZ - temps very rarely get below freezing.

If it is a REALLY bad idea to drain it, can I just let the water sit for the next few months, or will it be totally gross and smelly?
    15000gal IG plaster pool, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can I *please* just drain my pool?

Neglected Pools don't do well....(just like pets or anything else that requires some maintenance).

If you neglect your pool, the fix-up will likey be much harder than simply maintaining it properly to begin with.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, what Dave said.

Also, cooling temps will be coming which will reduce pool maintenance and expense.

If you want to tell us what questions or problems you have, we can probably help
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The nature of plaster dictates that it must remain submerged or it will start to release (delaminate) from itself. Chances are that you paid quite a bit to have it plastered and you will ruin it if you drain it. The money you save in chemicals and circulation will not be close to what it will cost to re-plaster again! Don't do it!

Bruce

5. Back To Top    #5

Well our problem is just laziness. I think we might have a leak, too, but I haven't done the test for that yet.

Would it be okay if we just kept up on chlorine, ran the pump every so often, but didn't clean out debris that sinks to the bottom? Also... we have a katchakid net on top, but is there an inexpensive cover we could put on top of the water to keep most of the debris out for the next 6 months?

~thank you~
    15000gal IG plaster pool, cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by azPOOLnewb
    Would it be okay if we just kept up on chlorine, ran the pump every so often, but didn't clean out debris that sinks to the bottom? Also... we have a katchakid net on top, but is there an inexpensive cover we could put on top of the water to keep most of the debris out for the next 6 months?
    You may find that the cover doesn't keep enough debris out (for instance, when the wind blows...) For minimal maintenance, suggest not covering the pool during the winter, use an automatic pool cleaner that runs the entire time you're filtering, but keep the filter time short. Of course, you'll want to keep chlorine in the pool, to oxidize the dust and other debris that the cleaner misses. Either way, unless there is no plant life within a hundred miles, I don't know how you can avoid checking/emptying the skimmer(s) and pump filter baskets on at least an occasional basis.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by azPOOLnewb
    Well our problem is just laziness. I think we might have a leak, too, but I haven't done the test for that yet.

~thank you~
    Depends what your definition of inexpensive is but you may want to get a mesh leaf cover to put on top of your safety net. That will keep the bigger stuff out at least.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!