Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: eyeball removal tool?

1. Back To Top    #1

eyeball removal tool?

I finally found one but it did not work. The way my return eyeball is designed,the eyeball does not screw out, it is held in by the ring that screws into the port. So you cannot use the tool with eyeball in place,so what i bought is useless.

Is there a tool that would work for this situation,or can I retrofit my returns with new eyeballs?The only way I could get them out is to use a hammer and pound a screwdriver to the rings,some of the plastic around the ring gets damaged and sooner or later I will need new ones.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: eyeball removal tool?

Try using needle nose pliers to lock onto the ring
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

i don't know if i understand what you're asking or not, but i asked a pool-friend the same question, about how to get ours out, and he said to unscrew the outer part (that sticks out into the pool, that you can sometimes unscrew just by hand) and then to use a wooden paint stirring stick, like from Home Depot, to wedge inside the larger opening to use as a lever to unscrew it. it worked for us!

if that's not what you needed to know, i'm sure someone else around here will give you a better answer
    Inground, Vinyl 18x37 Grecian (probably 23,000?)
    1 HP Pump + Hayward C900 Cartridge Filter
    "rigged" aboveground plumbing.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had to use channel lock pliers before.

If you wrap the threads with teflon tape, this will make removing the eyeballs easier. I forgot to wrap the pressure cleaner adapter in the spring. Needed the pliers and already wrapped the threads for next year.
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

The biggest problem I had was I couldn't get a good enough grip to turn mine by hand until I put a rubber/nitrile glove on. After that, I had no problem whatsoever getting a grip and getting them to turn.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6

I use a Quickgrip small rubber strap wrench. I use it on stubborn pvc couplers also.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

7. Back To Top    #7

I butchered one up pretty bad not long ago. Unusable, ended up replacing it. What worked?

Shoving in a rubber winterized plug, and unscrewing. Plan on using one again if I have any trouble closing this weekend.

Greg
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

8. Back To Top    #8

I wonder if there is a lube you can use that might help. At this rate I will have to replace every couple of years. I don't know why they are so tight.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

A couple wraps of Teflon tape will help prevent 'sticky eyeballs' (as per Joe )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)