partial closing?

ballparkmom

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Arkansas
Last year the weather turned cold on us fairly quick and I didn't have a pool cover ordered in the proper amount of time. So I never really "closed" our pool(We live in Arkansas). But I did seem to fish a LOT of leaves and acorns out of our pool all year long. Our temps only dipped below freezing maybe a total of two weeks all year long, so I just ran the pump continuously during that time. Other than the leaves and acorns I thought it was ideal because I didn't have to worry with draining, gaskets, etc. So my husband and I have been tossing around the question.....Can we put a pool cover on the pool to block the leaves and acorns, and yet leave our pool the way it is? Just run the pump to circulate occasionally or when the temps dip below freezing. Does anyone have experience with this? I was worried the water might not circulate properly or "pull" on the cover. I do have a bottom drain that I can switch to instead of using the skimmer basket drain. Thanks for any help or answers you can provide!!!!!!!!!!

If you can reasonably expect to have little freezing weather, that's a sound idea.

If last winter was especially mild, you'll probably want to do the full closing :( I'd put the cover on, then drain the sand filter (after rinsing it out :hammer: ) and leave the pool on recirc. This way, if you had to close it all the way down, all it would need is draining water out of the lines and plugging the pool, if you get a long, hard freeze :idea:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.