Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: partial closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

partial closing?

Last year the weather turned cold on us fairly quick and I didn't have a pool cover ordered in the proper amount of time. So I never really "closed" our pool(We live in Arkansas). But I did seem to fish a LOT of leaves and acorns out of our pool all year long. Our temps only dipped below freezing maybe a total of two weeks all year long, so I just ran the pump continuously during that time. Other than the leaves and acorns I thought it was ideal because I didn't have to worry with draining, gaskets, etc. So my husband and I have been tossing around the question.....Can we put a pool cover on the pool to block the leaves and acorns, and yet leave our pool the way it is? Just run the pump to circulate occasionally or when the temps dip below freezing. Does anyone have experience with this? I was worried the water might not circulate properly or "pull" on the cover. I do have a bottom drain that I can switch to instead of using the skimmer basket drain. Thanks for any help or answers you can provide!!!!!!!!!!
    Ballparkmom
    16 x 33 x 52" AG pool, Hayward Vari-flo pump & sand filter, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return, Zodiac LM3 24,000 SWG, Pool Rover Jr., 2 kids & a million toys

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: partial closing?

If you can reasonably expect to have little freezing weather, that's a sound idea.

If last winter was especially mild, you'll probably want to do the full closing I'd put the cover on, then drain the sand filter (after rinsing it out ) and leave the pool on recirc. This way, if you had to close it all the way down, all it would need is draining water out of the lines and plugging the pool, if you get a long, hard freeze
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)