How I dealt with algae issues

Aug 31, 2008
Ocoee, Florida
Post split of from this topic

I live in Florida, and your pictures look exactly like what I have, except I have the leaves to go with it. (You commented on my post about the PoolSkim). We have a very large oak tree in our yard and all of our neighbors have oaks. I'm still not sure if it's pollen or algae, but I treated it like algae, just in case. I have had problems every summer since we got the pool, but this year has been the worse. Right now, I have a clear sparkling pool, but it's only been a week, and I have been checking it every day.

I'll tell you the best thing I did to help myself was to get the proper test kit. When I finally got the test kit and tested the water myself (compared to Leslie's tests), my CYA and FC were very, very high. I spent two days draining water off and refilling it to bring my CYA down to an acceptable level. Then, I was finally able to keep the water clear. Well, at least it's been clear for a week now. :whoot: It seems like I had put so much in the pool trying to fix it that I made it worse and almost had to start over by draining and refilling. (btw...I only use the BBB method now.)

The other thing I am trying, that you may want to try, is I am adding Borates (Borax). I just put it in yesterday, but I swear the water seems softer and more "crystal-like". I'm hoping this helps with the algae sensitivity, but it can't hurt. Here's the link if you want to consider it: so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
Several claims have been made for these products when used in a 30-50 ppm concentration such as:
1) more stable pH
2) Algaestatic properties
3) reduced chlorine usage
4) silkier feeling water--less skin and eye irritation
5) clearer, 'sparkling' water

In the past, if I didn't check the pool for a day or two it would turn yellow again. I am hoping I finally have everything under control. I'll let ya know.

Re: Pictures look like pollen or algae?

michelbie - sounds like you are doing great.
Part of the BBB is to check it daily so I hope you are now. Especially in a warm climate like Fla I would think it easier for things to get out of hand.

Re: Pictures look like pollen or algae?

Thanks, Johnny B. It is looking really good now. I haven't checked my chlorine since Thursday, though. I've been running the pump for 24 hours and vacuuming every day. Hopefully, with the Pool Skim that I got Friday I'll be able to cut back on vacuuming the leaves out every day.

This is a great site to have as a resource. Without it I might have given in and taken the pool down (or the tree).

My family is enjoying the pool right now and they say it is like bath water. :goodjob:

My pool has been crystal clear for two weeks now. I think that's a record. :lol: Thanks, TFP!

Adding the borates really helped, but getting the chemicals under control is what helped the most. Before, I thought I could just add chemicals and check it every once in a while. But, it turned out to be more time consuming than just checking my chlorine levels every day. I have maintained my FC at 5.5 for the last week and it only takes a few minutes to check and add some bleach. And, it is much more satisfying seeing my pool nice and clear everyday.

Thanks, again.
Michele :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.