Am I understanding this right?

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
I have been told on here before it is safe to swim UP to shock level. I have been shocking this past week so my level is at 30 right now (I shocked high because I think it was mustard algae)so do we go by the normal shock number? A normal shock level would be 21 for my numbers, so I should not get into the pool until it is 21 or below correct? I really need to vacuum and it is so much easier being in the pool doing it than outside of it...Thanks!

While I wouldn't hesitate to hop in the pool with a 'slightly' high cl level, most folks here aren't as 'gung-ho' as I :lol: I think you should let the cl drop to your normal shock levels before hopping in.

I think you'd be fine going in to vacuum - as long as you wore an old bathing suit, unless you like to vacuum naked :shock: :wink: :goodjob: If you're higher than normal shock level for your cya, the fabric and elastic in your bathing suit could be damaged, but going 'au natual' shouldn't be a problem :p

Sky,

There has, to my knowledge, never been a reported problem on this forum with swimming in very high FC levels. The Shock level limit is simply a guideline wherein it is perfectly safe. It is very likely perfectly safe to enter a pool w-a-a-ay higher than that but it starts to get into a gray area at some point......everyone has to choose that point for themselves.

For what it's worth. the ppm level in your washing machine when you add bleach is in excess of 250ppm and that's with no CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.