Hayward Navigator repair question

Jun 17, 2007
Arizona
I have had some issues with my navigator not cleaning well.

I replaced the feet and wings and found a piece of a clothes pin was jamming up the water wheel. So everything should have been fine but now it goes very, very slowly, but then takes off like a John Force Funny Car, then either slows back down or just stands still.

It has steady suction, but slow, jerky movement. Any idea what could be causing this or what I should look at next?

Thanks for any suggestions!

My local Leslies provided a schematic of our last navigator, we replaced many wings when our dog would retrieve the pool "bunny" from the water. This really helped us narrow down the various parts that would break or wear-out. The guys at the local leslies...in the repair room seemed to understand how it should move and guided us to repair the correct parts.

I have the schematic and have looked everything over. None of the little teeth on the gears are broken or worn down. I've narrowed it down to the large cone gear that attaches to the hose. The manual says this gear should move freely in both directions, which it does, until you put it back together, then it only turns to the left but moving it is quite difficult.

From what I can tell the problem starts when the turbine assembly is attached to the upper body that supports the cone gear, but the problem might be in the gear box.

I'm not ready to admit defeat since I haven't broken any parts yet; but since swearing and giving it dirty looks has had very little effect, I agree that it is probably time to hand it over to someone who has a clue before I do break something expensive.

Thanks!

It sounds like you are capable of fixing it and not afraid of taking it apart. We enlisted the help of the technicians at Leslies for advise and purchased the parts needed from them. We did the repairs at home once the parts were identified. This may save some money and allow you to understand what/ how to fix in teh future if needed too.

Best of luck to you.

Dazed_N_Confused said:
I'm not ready to admit defeat since I haven't broken any parts yet; but since swearing and giving it dirty looks has had very little effect, I agree that it is probably time to hand it over to someone who has a clue before I do break something expensive.

Thanks!

If swearing at things would fix them, nothing would ever be broke at my house :-D

A 20 watt bulb in a 100 watt world, duh

:oops:
Apparently the gear box on the Navigator has a "front" and a "back" side. If you reinstall the gear box facing the wrong was it will only turn left, run into the wall and just sit there. When installed correctly, that bad boy wanders all over and cleans the pool just like it is supposed to?

Duh, guess I earned the "Dumbellina" award this week.

Thanks to all of you that offered advice/suggestions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.