Michael Adkins in the California Desert

How about an Intro? I bought the TF-100 test kit a year ago so I figured I had registered on this forum, but I guess not since the registration took my e-mail address.

I have a 25000 gallon 18 x 36 vinyl liner pool I inherited when I bought this house 4 years about. When I bought it, the previous owner had neglected the pool quite a bit. It hadn't been opened in at least one year. It had a black plastic tarp over it (at the end of summer) with half the water bags floating in the pool. The previous owner had also removed the automatic pool cover and very poorly cemented over the resulting hole. He also used red concrete paint to hide the aging coping. City building records indicate that the pool was built in 1987.

So, what did I get? A lot of work? The existing pool equipment was junk. Superficially looked OK, but was wore out. It has a bronze impeller pump that couldn't push water down hill. The stainless steel DE filter had pin-holes and several grids needed replacing. Well, I limped along for the end of the first season just to see if I liked pools. We decided we would give it a shot instead of filling it in.

What have I done since I got the thing? Completely replaced the equipment. Hayward 2 speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward 48 sq ft DE filter, digital intermatic timer for two speed functionality, and Intellichlor SWG. Since the concrete paint on the coping was flaking off, I decided to power wash it off. That worked OK and it did look better, but the mortar is eroding. The first month after that I had lots of grey grit in the pool. That seems to have abated, but I do need to tuck point all the coping. I also installed a loop-loc solid winter cover. Its so much easier than the tarp and water bags and so much safer.

I consider my self an advanced do it yourselfer. I have done a complete kitchen remodel which included massive electrical work, relocating a gas line under a slab, demoing and rebuilding a drop ceiling, tiling a complete floor of the house, etc. I even build all my kitchen cabinets. I can do pretty much anything.

Where I feel I have enough experience to help someone out, I'll certainly post, but on this forum, I'll pretty much be a seeker of knowledge rather than a giver for now.

How about some pictures?

Herea are some pictures shortly after we moved in. We only had the pool open a few days and we were pretty muhc at the end of the season, so it only lasted a month or so before we closed it again. You can see the painted coping brick and how it is flaking. Notice on the diving board end there are mature Cacti growing along the fence. Who puts cacti around a pool? Notice also the illegally built pool house/storage shed. The pool equipment is in the back, behind all your junk. We have since sectioned off the back 6 seet and put in a side door so the equipment now have a room of their own, complete with workbench for chemistry and some shelving. Note also that I put up a fence between the yard and the pool. That is a state requirement since we also run a evening daycare. The fence is 5 feet high, which is 6" higher than the code required fence, but required by the daycare licensing folks. Good thing we checked in advance.
overview1.jpg

overview2.jpg

Here is a good picture of the auto-cover fill-in. Pretty crappy. You can't see the vertical face, but its chock full of air bubbles and such. Should be easy to jack hammer out. You can see the brick have been pressure washed and there are areas of damaged mortar.
autocover_removed.jpg

This is the current nightmare and my reason for registering on the forum. A liner tear. Time for a new liner. Note that I put a patch over this, but it didn't stick to the brown deteriorated edge. The tear stopped getting larger for a week, but has since grown and is about 10 inches long now. Fortunately, only another week left in the season. Then two weeks of vacation and then I can start to deal with this. Notice a nice view of the concreted in autocover hole.
liner_tear.jpg

So much for an introductory post.

Welcome, Michael!

If any pool is crying out for an automatic pool cover -- this is it! My guess is that in the So. Cal desert you get even more evaporation than the No. Calif central valley, so an auto sliding cover would be great to have for all sorts of reasons: a. water conservation (big time) b. chemical savings ($) c. easier sanitation (let the Santa Ana blow) d. security (covered pool discourages tikes and other wandering guests) and e. that beautiful 70s retro rectangular shape! - none of those mousy curvilinear coves that make installing an auto cover so challenging.

Good luck on your coming improvements.

BTW I actually like the look of the cacti on the wall near the deep end... but I feel your pain. :cry:

polyvue said:
Welcome, Michael!

If any pool is crying out for an automatic pool cover -- this is it! My guess is that in the So. Cal desert you get even more evaporation than the No. Calif central valley, so an auto sliding cover would be great to have for all sorts of reasons: a. water conservation (big time) b. chemical savings ($) c. easier sanitation (let the Santa Ana blow) d. security (covered pool discourages tikes and other wandering guests) and e. that beautiful 70s retro rectangular shape! - none of those mousy curvilinear coves that make installing an auto cover so challenging.

Good luck on your coming improvements.

BTW I actually like the look of the cacti on the wall near the deep end... but I feel your pain. :cry:

All, thanks for the hellos.

The cacti are gone. I used a hatchet and BBQ tongs directly into the waste bin. I tried to get the local desert planters to take them, but they were unwanted. We lost too many pool toys to the cacti. Blow ups don't like 'em, neither did the plush toys. Now I just have dirt. Thinking about a decent ground cover, haven't decided.

Yes, a pool cover would be nice, but at what cost. We are a desert oasis, 150 miles to the next city and we have no local pool contractors. So, if a cover is not DIY, it ain't gonna happen. We can easily lose an inch a day to evaporation without a cover. I have a bubble cover on a reel to help with that and chlorine loss. In the middle of summer, we leave the cover off at night to take advantage of the cooling to the night sky, else we can get temps over 100 in the pool.

I am hoping we can move from cheesy 1970's to at least sleek 1990's by changing the coping. Doing some looking online for coping choices today. Whatever I get will have to be ordered and then I'll to trailer it in from some other town.