Introduction Piedmont Triad area of NC

Sep 25, 2009
:whoot: Hello all... well its taken me about 4 years but I've finally put myself in a situation where I can afford to build a pool. Financing is complete, contracts signed and pool build date is set for October 12. One thing I learned will quick...take your budget...subtract $10,000 and target that for the pool price. Electrician fees are absolutely killing me... not to mention concrete, plumbing, furniture, etc.

Anyway...this is a dream come true for us and I will post progress pics as we go. if anyone has any last minute advice... now would be a great time.

18x36 in ground, vinyl liner pool, ez pool system, auto haywood vacuum, fountain at end.

Hey Grant and Jerri,

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here loves pool builds so we hope you'll keep us up to date with pictures and lots of questions.

The Liberty VOR is an aviation fix that we fly over frequently departing Raleigh.....I'll start to look for a hole in your backyard any day now!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GrantsPool said:
[The] pool build date is set for October 12. If anyone has any last minute advice... now would be a great time.
Hi GrantsPool... and welcome to the forum. You're going to have a lot of fun (and headaches) in the next few months. :) :x

First, let me congratulate you for building in the fall, it's really the best time to start a pool.

Advice? Oh, where to begin? For starters, how about talking with your contractor about pipe runs and sizes ('home runs' separately plumped from main drain to pad, & skimmer to pad... BIG diameter pipe is best (2" minimum, 2 1/2 - 3" suction pipe is better). Request an oversized filter (add 100-200 sq ft to whatever the contract calls for) -- if your pool is 600 sq ft, try to get a filter that's nearly that capacity. Ask for completely looped returns instead of a single line feeding multiple returns that dead-ends half way around the pool. (An alternative to having them all looped is to install paired returns -- main return line branches into several sub-branches, each divide at a "T" to feed two or four returns.) A minimal number of 90° elbows. Get the schematic of the plumbing configuration from the builder and ask him about his estimate for Total Head Feet and Gallons Per Minute (GPM) for your pool. Ask if the pump is right-sized (big pumps aren't necessarily better, low-speed longer operation is usually better.)

Be on site at often as possible, especially just before and during the dig (you can tweak the outline of your pool when you realize that the shape looks different on the ground than the pretty drawing you or your designer finalized.) Inspect the PVC runs before they're buried to be sure they're what you specified, that the pool lights are aimed how you want them, the right number of jets are installed, etc. Be there when the subs lay the tile (right color, right design) and when they apply the plaster or vinyl liner, etc.

I'll stop there before I scare you into cancelling! :shock:

Good luck with your pool. Hope you'll post pics as it progresses and feel free to ask questions.