When is your water too cool for a dip?

SeeGars

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
So, as we draw into the cooler time of year, I use my solar panels to generate some warm water for the pool. Living in sunny Texas that is easy to do. But, how low will you allow the temp to go and still get into your pool?

SeeGars said:
So, as we draw into the cooler time of year, I use my solar panels to generate some warm water for the pool. Living in sunny Texas that is easy to do. But, how low will you allow the temp to go and still get into your pool?
Don't they have the Polar Bear club down thar en Texas, SeeGars? :santa:

At the end of the season I won't get in a pool that's less than 80 degrees (& with the heater ON. churning out nice warm water at the returns.) I'm much braver in April/May; if it's sunny and the water's even close to 77 -- I jump in (and shiver ostentatiously.)

What happened to my youth? We would swim in bays, ponds, creeks, lakes, sloughs, ravines, culverts -- anywhere and everywhere -- at any time of year as long as there was no ice on the surface. Not no more.

TizMe said:
I think our blood is THICKER when were younger Polyvue so we dont feel the cold ... either that or we werent smart enough to realize how cold it was and went in anyway!
You betcha.

Our lips were bluer than your avatar but boy did we have fun! I think that's why a lot of us have pools (usually when we can afford it... in our 30's 40's 50's). The underlying motivation isn't to keep up with our affluent neighbors or stay cool during the summer - there's air conditioning for that. It's just to re-live our youth.

Anything below 86 and I freeze. Until a few days ago we had rain for over a week and EXTREMELY unseasonable cold (60s-70s) when it is usually trying to hit 95-100). My pool went from high 80's and is now 72 and over 10' rain. :shock: No algae! Thank you TFP and BBB. :party:

I, too, grew up swimming in anything that had even a few feet of water and all sorts of critters. The Kentucky River was cold year round especially when you were over a spring coming from bottom. I was always a little scared that they would reverse. :lol:

I do get chilled easily and even wear a wet suit, scuba diving, in tropics, even in 88F water, because of chilling, especially at depths.

The doggies don't seem to mind yet. This is their first year as they are puppies. We'll just see how tough they are as it gets colder. :roll:

Over the years we have had ice form on the pool even though it is not usual to have that much cold for enough length of time to form ice. That's usually when I lose a pipe or two somewhere to freezing.

I'm seriously thinking of putting in solar heating for next year.

Thanks for the replies!

I did jump in last Sat with the pool reading 78 and it was COLD!!!! BUt, I managed to stay in despite it being cloudy.

But.... I figure the season is mostly over.... :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's over. Water is 72 degrees, 10 inches of rain, with yet another cool, cloudy, rainy, and definitely un-Texas like week ahead. And that is with the solar cover and solar panels. But without sun, they are not much help- that's why they're called "solar".
Anyways, at least it is cool enough to walk down our country roads- so we switch to walking season. I miss the pool already.

We were in Fredericksburg and San Antonio last week. The hotel pool was cool, probably around 80degrees, but the sun was so blazing hot, it felt great after a day outside baking. I partook every afternoon.
I guess it is kind of relative- how hot is the sun, how high is the wind, and how hard and long have you been working outside? I would probably jump in with the pool in the mid-upper 70's if the sun was beating down on me working in the yard, but also probably would not stop moving for long or be in there for too long.

I jumped in to pull the winter cover over on our pool, and heater has been shut down for weeks now...temp was a frigid 65F!! I was in the water for about 4 minutes and that was LONG ENOUGH...I was numb when I got out.

Dan

What I find amusing as a southern Californian is that we will joyfully swim in the ocean here all summer long when it is typically 65-71 degrees. But yet when our backyard pools hit 70-75 they become too cold to swim in ! :wink: Maybe I need to make some waves :cool:

I hate bathtub pools. At 84° I pump in 55° well water to bring it down. Ideal for me is 74°-78°. If I am working or playing on a warm day I am happy down to 68°. I jump into a pool to cool off--if it's too warm, you're still hot when you get out. My kids are fine with this, the women in my life think I'm nuts.

With a week of rain and cooler temps here in Northern Texas, water temp is down to 66.... brrrr....

Gonna have to be some really sunny days ahead to get that solar heater to bring it up some.

:grrrr:

SeeGars said:
With a week of rain and cooler temps here in Northern Texas, water temp is down to 66.... brrrr....

Gonna have to be some really sunny days ahead to get that solar heater to bring it up some.

:grrrr:

Wanted to say "howdy neighbor". My water temp yesterday was 68. This a.m. 67. Water coming out of tap is warmer than pool. How 'bout this weather? :? I've been in TX since '71 and can't remember anything like this year. I'm certainly glad my IG pool is way above the water table.

It got down below 50 last night and damp, to say the least. The winds are relatively calm, at least for now. :roll:

BTW.... Here in Cedar Hill, we have prediction for a few days (I think three) without rain :shock: and then it starts again. :rant: If you're close enough to the border won't you please hook a line over there and secure it well; I'm beginning to think Texas might float out to sea. :grrrr:

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.