Jury Rigged Automation

Aug 4, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
My first winter as a pool owner.

I have an Intermatic T106R mechanical timer that controls my two speed pump right now. Basically runs 24 hours a day and the timer tells it when to run on high (I only need high to run water through the solar heaters on the roof, more than enough circulation on low and SWG produces on low spped). Eventually I would like to upgrade to a digital timer that would provide off/low/high settings, but for now...

Currently in the low usage mode for the pool... kids are in school all week so we keep the solar cover on and just swim on weekends. Can I disconnect the low-speed electrical connection and just have the timer run the pump on high long enough during the day to turn the water over and keep the pool heated?

Then for the winter, can I disconnect the high-speed connection and simply use the timer to run the pump in low speed 1-2 hours each night (vice a full closing of the pool)?

Not sure of the model number of my pump, it's a pentair 1.5 HP 2-speed. Really just want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything.

It won't be a problem at all. It should be wired now that the Line is going to terminal 2 or 3 and a jumper is between 2 & 3. The low speed wire should be hooked to 1 and the high speed should be hooked to 4. If this is correct then it's easy to accomplish your objective.

You can remove the high speed wire from 4 and cap it with a wirenut and move the low speed wire from 1 to 4 and program it just like you do now.

You can do it by just removing the high speed wire from #4 & capping it and programming the timer inverse to how you do it now. In other words the off tripper will be the start time and the on tripper will be the stop time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.