How often do people clean out their skimmers?

TripleB4me

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2007
Maryland
I clean mine out once a week under normal circumstances, i.e. no big wind storms etc. They're pretty full of leaves and bugs when I clean them out, I do use skimmer socks by the way. Just wondering if I should clean them out more often.

I try to look at mine daily and rinse the sock/clean out as needed. Sometimes it's daily, sometimes a few days in between.

Anything sitting in the skimmer is organic and getting attacked by chlorine. I like to get it out when I can.

It's not often I go more than one day without cleaning out both my skimmer basket and my pump basket. The combination of leaves, bugs and frogs require some attention I find, especially since the smaller frogs seem to get to the pump basket sometimes.

CaOCl2 said:
Every day. Pouring rain or not.
Having a pool right under a huge maple tree is such a joy.

:evil:

yea, that's one of the reasons I don't have a built in pool right now....I would have to chop down about 8 large trees...

so, an AG pool that's 18x48 6280 gallon metal frame Intex pool that I can take down during the winter, is good enough for the kiddies ages 7 and 9 for now.

I check the skimmer basket for frogs, mice or excess bugs everyday. Probably empty it three or four times a week. I check the pump basket two or three times a week, but it usually only needs emptying every couple of weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every day, sometimes more like spring when there is tree seeding/pollen floating about. When using skimmer socks, it seems the pump basket really only needs once every 10 days or even less. Big difference those socks make.

Once a day :? or more. Although most times I don't need to clean it that often...but who could tell.

The worst case, for my skimmer, was when the cicadas were here a few months ago. I'm not sure if they're attracted to water near the end of their life cycle or what. But earlier in the morning I was outside watering some of the plants in the back yard when I started to get dive bombed by the red eyed bugs. It appeared that they were attracted to the water. Well...later that day I looked at the skimmer basket it was loaded with cicadas. I didn't think about taking pictures until right now...maybe in another 17 years :p

dan

Attachments

• cicada.jpg
    cicada.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 217
Great question - has my curiosity up!!

With the last pool we would clean the skimmer baslet out daily, or more often the day we mowed or monsoon winds hit. The pump basket was cleaned on average of 1 x week, more if the skimmer basket collected lots of debris.

I will be trying the sock with our new pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.