Why cant you reuse it ?

Re: Why cant you re use it ?

I have heard they lose pliability as they age and that it is difficult to line up openings for skimmers and returns. They also tend to shrink when they dry out. You can always attempt it. Maybe you can get a good deal on a liner from ebay if it doesn't work.

You really should get a new one. They do shrink and become very brittle once the water is out of the pool and the liner dries out. Every day it get's worse and by the time you set the pool back up, you'll be pretty upset you tried to salvage it and even if you could salvage it, you could never line the holes up as previously posted and then you'd have to patch it and the seams may be compremised. It's so not a good idea.

Google pool liners for above ground pools. Looks like they are having sales. I had mine shipped in February and it sat in a spare room til June with no problems.

a new liner is very pliable and has relatively high elasticity, it is able to form to whatever shape your floor is even if it seems as though there is not enough liner to accomodate.
the water pressure on the liner over time will actually compress the vinyl some which in turn adds to it losing it's elasticity and the sun's UV rays also dry it out.
When you drain the water, the liner will actually shrink some - pulling off the floor/walls a bit - if you refill, it will tear somewhere because it no longer has the elasticity it had when it was new and will not go back to the shape/size it was before you removed the water.

I guess you could reuse it if you somehow figured out by how many % it will shrink and accommodate for that by raising your pool floor that % and shrinking the diameter by the same...

A friend once drained his Inground pool completely for 2 days to scrub it - when he told me what he did I said uh-ohh...he said - it'll be fine.

He refilled it and before it was even close to full, it pulled the entire liner out of the track - he had to buy a new one. Had he kept a few feet of water in it, he would have been ok.

I'm new to this, but just bought a used pool this week & Hubby and I had thoughts of doing the same thing. We'd been told that if you soak the liner it may not shrink as quickly... but that was a big "may not" and do you know how heavy those things are?

Anyway, when we took out the liner, being careful as I was (it was only about 4 yrs old) it tore along the top (beaded liner). We had already decided to replace the liner so it wasn't a big deal, I just wanted to see if I could get it out easily enough to have even attempted it. We would have had to line up a skimmer, return, and a central drain and figured we would never get all three right.

I would find the least expensive liner you can afford and do that. I've been told that thickness isn't as big a deal as many say it is... just get what you can so you can still enjoy your pool. :)

I purchased my pool second hand this summer and reused the beaded liner. I too was concerned about reusing it, so I purchased a backup in case I had problems during installation. When I disassembled the pool, I immediately stored the liner in a large Rubbermaid container and kept it somewhat wet (to prevent drying out and becoming brittle). I made sure to reassemble and fill the pool ASAP (2 days later) to prevent the liner from drying out further.

When reinstalling the liner, I started by lining it up at the skimmer and return and went from there. The only drawback with trying to match it up was I got a few wrinkles on the bottom and one corner. Otherwise I am happy with how it went. It just seemed like a waste to toss a year old liner and maybe that's why it went well for me. If it was a few years older, it may not have turned out as well as it did.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.