Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going on vacation for 2 weeks . . . what do I do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Going on vacation for 2 weeks . . . what do I do?

I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks and we finally have our pool under control. I don't want to return and find all the chemicals all out of wack. What do I do? How much chlorine can I add before we leave and not damage the pool with too much chlorine?
    25x15 ft; 11,200 gal; indoor/in ground; plaster (redone 2006); cartridge filter; +40 years old original with the house;
    pool has a cover and we cover the pool half way b/c when it is covered all the way our numbers get screwed up;we don't use the pool very often; only indirect sunlight; Chicago area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going on vacation for 2 weeks . . . what do I do?

Will your filter/pump be operating at least part of the day in your absence? If so, a higher level of chlorine should be fine. How much chlorine does your pool consume in a week? Example: Suppose that before you leave your normal tested Free Chlorine (FC) is within a normal range (2 -8 ppm) and your weekly loss rate is about 5 ppm, then you might consider adding sufficient chlorine to boost it (from, say, 2 to 12 ppm -or- 5 to 15 ppm.) This presumes that you normally add liquid chlorine to sanitize your pool. A somewhat different approach would be required if you rely upon pucks, tabs or granular chlorine sources. For more specific answer, post current full test results and your estimate for weekly or daily chlorine loss.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, we sure could use the info polyvue asked for

Also, because it's an indoor pool and not exposed to direct sunlight, the chlorine usage should be fairly low so you probably have only been adding chlorine once or twice a week?

What is your water temp? The cooling water temp will also reduce chlorine demand.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have current tests results but we usually only add liquid bleach once a week and current pool temp is around 85 degrees. Our pool filter is on and will be running 12 hours a day.
    25x15 ft; 11,200 gal; indoor/in ground; plaster (redone 2006); cartridge filter; +40 years old original with the house;
    pool has a cover and we cover the pool half way b/c when it is covered all the way our numbers get screwed up;we don't use the pool very often; only indirect sunlight; Chicago area

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ckf
    I don't have current tests results but we usually only add liquid bleach once a week and current pool temp is around 85 degrees. Our pool filter is on and will be running 12 hours a day.
    Shy of any test results, I would recommend trebling your normal weekly dose of liquid chlorine (3x) the night before or on the day of your departure. But when you get back, please consider testing the water (yourself, if possible) so that you know you're not swimming in unsanitary, chemical soup.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you usually only add once a week, you should be fine by doubling/tripling the amount you normally add, assuming your FC has been stable.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Good suggestions above.
    I check FC daily & daily add liquid chlorine.
    FWIW, what I did when I left town:
    Before I left, my Target FC each night was FC 6, for weeks.
    When I left, I made the Target FC 8 – told the guy "add this much bleach each night".
    I increased the pump run time from 8 hours to 10 hours.
    Taught him to do the OTO test- "just call me if its under 3"
    I was only gone 5 days though.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.