my test results and closing pool

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Hi all, I am fairly new to pool ownership (well at least a large pool)...I just took some tests today on my pool with my TF-100 test kit, and wanted to post them, to see what I would need to do yet to close it up for the season.

09/24/09
Temp = 68F
FC = 4.5
CC = 0
pH = 7.6
T/A = 320
CH = 180
CYA = 40

I know my alk and CH are still a bit high, and I've been aerating to bring down the CH..and it's been working. Any thoughts??

Dan

I would focus on lowering your TA to at least 120 to avoid PH rise in the off season, then follow the closing your pool instructions in pool school. The lowering your TA instructions are also described in detail in pool school.

Hi, Dan,

Are you aware of the static electricity issues with the TA test?

If your R-0010 drops appear smaller than the drops from the other bottles or they seam to "jump" off the droper tip, wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth every two or three drops and that will fix that issue. Your TA will test much lower.

flyweed said:
I know my alk and CH are still a bit high, and I've been aerating to bring down the CH..and it's been working. Any thoughts??
I agree with Dave on checking for static on the TA test and then post back.

Aerating does not bring down CH. Only water replacement reduces CH.
The recommended level of CH for vinyl is 50 - 300, so you are fine with a CH of 180.

Aeration raises your pH and your pH is perfect. :wink:

duraleigh said:
Hi, Dan,

Are you aware of the static electricity issues with the TA test?

If your R-0010 drops appear smaller than the drops from the other bottles or they seam to "jump" off the droper tip, wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth every two or three drops and that will fix that issue. Your TA will test much lower.
(Pssst, Dave, it's actually the R-0009 that has the static issue; R-0010 is the first part of the CH test.)
--paulr

My CYA is currently 40 ppm...so according to the chart I need to take it up to 16 ppm FC....so the pool calculator says this would be 611 oz of 6% bleach....I just want to be sure, I am using the calculator correctly.

Dan

flyweed said:
My CYA is currently 40 ppm...so according to the chart I need to take it up to 16 ppm FC....so the pool calculator says this would be 611 oz of 6% bleach....I just want to be sure, I am using the calculator correctly.
Hi Dan

If your pool is 27700 gallons it looks like you've got the numbers right. Happy shocking :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.