How important is a pump pressure gauge

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
The gauge on my Sand Dollar doesn't rise above 18psi. The normal operating pressure on my clean filter (according to this obviously defective gauge) is 16psi, so at most my pressure gauge rises 2psi when the filter is dirty. I'm certain that the pressure does go above this, but the gauge is not registering it.

The way the filter was installed, I can't see the gauge anyway without crawling under the deck. In order to correct this, I'd have to re-plumb the whole setup (PVC) to turn the filter head around, which I can do, but I don't know if it's worth the effort. Another option would be to re-plumb the gauge so that it is piped out around the side of the head instead of being directly mounted. (Note that I'm going to be doing a little bit of re-plumbing on this this winter to fix an issue with my backwash plumbing.)

This summer, I based my filter cleaning on pressure at the return. When it felt like I'd had a significant drop in return pressure (and the current significantly decreased,) I knew it was time to clean the filter.

Since I would have to re-plumb things, is it worthwhile to bother with a new gauge. Is it that important to know what the pressure really is?

Is this a standard pressure gauge that I can get from someplace like Lowes? If not, any ideas where I'd find it? Specialty plumbing store?

TIA

They're important. Neighbor's filter basically exploded, after realizing he had an obstruction. He had a non-op pressure gauge, never removed it when closing.

They're generic. You can get them at Lowes or HD, for under 10 bucks.

You can certainly run a pool/ filter system without a working pressure gauge :cool: As you said, you just need to watch the return action to know when to clean the filter :goodjob:

You seem to know your pool well enough to do this :cool: However, the gauge screws in so can be turned to allow you to see it :wink:

waste said:
However, the gauge screws in so can be turned to allow you to see it :wink:

It's not that it is upside down, it's that the head is installed so that the gauge is on the back side where I can't see it (or the sight glass either) without crawling under the deck.

In order get it where I can see it, I'll have to put two elbows and about 3"-4" of pipe in the line. Not being a plumber, I don't know how much that would drop the pressure to the gauge, and if it would be significant. How accurate does the gauge need to be anyway? Any idea?

It would be fairly easy to do, if it's worth the effort.

Since I can't see the sight glass either, when I backwash, I just go to the end of the hose and watch that until it's clear. Less convenient than watching it through the sight glass, but it works.

The 90's will have virtually no effect on the efficiency of your system......I think the guage is very important.

Each time my pump goes on, I check the psi for normal operation. It's a great indicator of anything not functioning properly or assurance that everything is.

Thanks. I picked up the parts last night (but naturally there are a couple that I missed so I have to go back again. [rant] Why on earth can't I ever get all the pieces I need on the FIRST trip? Even when I make a list! [/rant] Since it's pretty cheap and easy, (gauge was under $8, and pre-threaded brass fittings were under $8) I might as well fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.