Testing beyond limits of kit

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
First, I have a TF100 on order, but am unlikely to get it this week. In the mean time, I'm using an HTH 6-way drop kit. Currently my CL test is at the upper limit of the test (5) I also have a box of HTH test strips, and a box of AquaCheck strips. All pretty much agree that the CL is around 5. (It's been cloudy the past few days and my CYA is around 70 so the CL is not burning off as fast as normal. Since I'm at the upper end of the test kit, I'd like to know if I'm actually above 5.

I'm curious if I can use half as much phenol red and effectively double the range of the test (making the top end 10 instead of 5) Since the kit requires 5 drops of phenol, I'd have to double the water instead of halving the drops, but the same principal applies.

Thanks.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Phenol red? For the OTO Chlorine test? :scratch:

Uh yeah - isn't the pH test and the CL test the same thing? :oops: No wonder my none of my testing works. :wink: That's what I get when I'm distracted. The last bottle I looked at while I was testing was the phenol, so it got stuck in my head and now won't go away. ARRGH. GO AWAY! GO AWAY!

I really meant OTO. Really. I did. Really. You believe me, doncha?

Bama Rambler said:
Most suggestions here are to use the same total volume for the test but use half the amount of pool water and add half the amount of bottled or distilled water. Then you double the results.

Thanks. I wonder if the wife has any distilled water for the iron sitting around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.