Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing beyond limits of kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing beyond limits of kit

First, I have a TF100 on order, but am unlikely to get it this week. In the mean time, I'm using an HTH 6-way drop kit. Currently my CL test is at the upper limit of the test (5) I also have a box of HTH test strips, and a box of AquaCheck strips. All pretty much agree that the CL is around 5. (It's been cloudy the past few days and my CYA is around 70 so the CL is not burning off as fast as normal. Since I'm at the upper end of the test kit, I'd like to know if I'm actually above 5.

I'm curious if I can use half as much phenol red and effectively double the range of the test (making the top end 10 instead of 5) Since the kit requires 5 drops of phenol, I'd have to double the water instead of halving the drops, but the same principal applies.

Thanks.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing beyond limits of kit

Most suggestions here are to use the same total volume for the test but use half the amount of pool water and add half the amount of bottled or distilled water. Then you double the results.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Phenol red? For the OTO Chlorine test?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Phenol red? For the OTO Chlorine test?
    Uh yeah - isn't the pH test and the CL test the same thing? No wonder my none of my testing works. That's what I get when I'm distracted. The last bottle I looked at while I was testing was the phenol, so it got stuck in my head and now won't go away. ARRGH. GO AWAY! GO AWAY!

I really meant OTO. Really. I did. Really. You believe me, doncha?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Most suggestions here are to use the same total volume for the test but use half the amount of pool water and add half the amount of bottled or distilled water. Then you double the results.
    Thanks. I wonder if the wife has any distilled water for the iron sitting around.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.