Should I shock?

May 26, 2009
Seminole, FL
I was on vacation for the past week or so and when I got back I noticed from green algae on my light and fixture. I put pucks in while I was gone and tested my FC about 2.0 when I got home. Probably a little low for my CYA of 45.

I brushed off the algae.. I tested with my kit and got 3.5 FC, 0 CC.. (I added some chlorine) Should I still shock because I saw algae?

I agree, an overnight test to be sure :wink:

make sure you are brushing those areas where you saw visible algae for the next several days, and it's a good idea to up your FC level a few ppm's and run the pump more often, you may be getting FC "dead spots".

You have gotten good advice :goodjob:

I, on the other hand, would shock my pool and not think twice about it :wink:

Then, I'd do the Overnight Test.

Sometimes I think it is easier to just shock it once, when you catch it early, rather than increase your FC level daily for a while. Your choice.

Since we have been doing BBB, any shock we have done has been a one-time event. :-D

We rarely shock our pool. Maybe once or twice a year, and the twice would be "just because".

I brought my FC up to 15.5 last night, and it was 14 this morning. Still no CC though. I suspect the 1.5 drop was because I didn't test until 9am and there was some sun already hitting the pool. I'm guessing the overnight test has to be done early in the morning.

I, on the other hand, would shock my pool and not think twice about it
While it's already been done (good work), I want to emphasize how much I agree with Butterfly......if you have visible algae in your pool, it needs to be shocked regardless of any test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.