Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Should I shock?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    71

    Should I shock?

    I was on vacation for the past week or so and when I got back I noticed from green algae on my light and fixture. I put pucks in while I was gone and tested my FC about 2.0 when I got home. Probably a little low for my CYA of 45.

    I brushed off the algae.. I tested with my kit and got 3.5 FC, 0 CC.. (I added some chlorine) Should I still shock because I saw algae?
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    21,778

    Re: Should I shock?

    Probably so, but do an overnite chlorine drop test to be sure. Here's how to do it. Pool School Overnite FC Test

    You'll need a FAS-DPD test to do it. Hopefully you have one of the recommended kits.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Should I shock?

    I agree, an overnight test to be sure

    make sure you are brushing those areas where you saw visible algae for the next several days, and it's a good idea to up your FC level a few ppm's and run the pump more often, you may be getting FC "dead spots".
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Should I shock?

    You have gotten good advice

    I, on the other hand, would shock my pool and not think twice about it

    Then, I'd do the Overnight Test.

    Sometimes I think it is easier to just shock it once, when you catch it early, rather than increase your FC level daily for a while. Your choice.

    Since we have been doing BBB, any shock we have done has been a one-time event.

    We rarely shock our pool. Maybe once or twice a year, and the twice would be "just because".
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    71

    Re: Should I shock?

    I brought my FC up to 15.5 last night, and it was 14 this morning. Still no CC though. I suspect the 1.5 drop was because I didn't test until 9am and there was some sun already hitting the pool. I'm guessing the overnight test has to be done early in the morning.
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

  6. Back To Top    #6

    In the Industry
    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    28,418

    Re: Should I shock?

    I, on the other hand, would shock my pool and not think twice about it
    While it's already been done (good work), I want to emphasize how much I agree with Butterfly......if you have visible algae in your pool, it needs to be shocked regardless of any test results.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •