polaris 280 wheels

hayfarmer

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
eastern washington state
I have a Polaris 280 and it is one year old. the Axle plate that holds the wheel on broke the other day. So i fixed it with no problems. Well today we take the cover off and find out another wheel has broken off. was just wondering if this is common or Am i doing something wrong. It works great and can not live without it... makes life so easy... my concern is that when the tire falls off it leaves the axle sticking out, which could tear the liner. Has anyone else had problems with this?
thanks

Sorry about your problem. :cry:

I've had at least three 280's since they were first introduced. The only reason I've had to purchase new ones is because my dogs have "rescued" them and then "killed" them. Expensive doggie toy.

I've never had an axle break nor a wheel fall off. Mine get at around 10 hours a day use usually year round. My current one is over 5 years old. I've only replaced tires, hoses, wear rings and of course tail sponges which I now make myself.

A good friend of mine has a 280 that is probably eight years old. It runs about 8 hours a day, year round. This has never happened to hers.

My closest neighbor has one that is 3.5 years old. They have an auto cover so they don't run theirs as long as my friend and I but probably at least four hours a day year round. Mid summer they had to repair a broken part but not wheel or axle. They were so desperate not having the 280 run daily that they borrowed mine until the part came in (took 2 weeks because the pool store forgot to order it). They had so much stuff in the bottom that after a week without 280 no one in the family would get in the pool and it was in 100 F here.

I wish I could help you but just wanted to let you know that your problem has not occurred with any of the hard working 280s I am familiar with.
gg=alice

hayfarmer said:
I have a Polaris 280 and it is one year old. the Axle plate that holds the wheel on broke the other day. So i fixed it with no problems. Well today we take the cover off and find out another wheel has broken off [...] Has anyone else had problems with this?
thanks
Yes, this happened to my Polaris 280. Since shipping costs are commonly higher than the parts, when something breaks, I have started ordering TWO of whatever the item is. I like the cleaner but it does seem they require attention several times a year.

Hate to bring up an old thread, but I did want to emphasize the issue may be widespread. I have a 280 and within 2 months, the front drive wheel axle snapped. That wheel snapped three times over a years period. The fourth wheel just snapped, the non drive wheel, 2 months out of warranty. My chemicals are checked by the test kit, and the pool was never too acidic and never had too much chlorine. In fact, I used to have a 380 going with a very low pH in the pool that ruined the liner, but I never had a problem with the wheels snapping off.

Now Polaris had sent me out a new wheel each time, but never addressed the underlying issue. Even out of warranty, they were very nice and given the trouble I have had, they once more took care of me. Each time I asked if this was a common problem, but they seemed not to answer the question directly.

I have a Polaris 280. In January one of the axles broke. I ordered the part and replaced. The following week a different axle broke, replaced this one and the remaining original axle. All new axles.

Now April, I have another broken axle and a wheel at the bottom of pool.

What could be causing this?

Is it binding or some other issue? I have noticed the pool cleaner is not cleaning like it used to. It will not willingly go to the farthest reaches of the pool and seems to go in circles ending up near its connection point.

Pool Chemicals are tested and good. Thanks in advance for any input!

I've had a 280 for 5 years. It runs 4 - 8 hours/day for 9 or 10 months per year. So far the only maintenance I've done is replace the float, replace the back-up valve, and put on a new set of tires. It stays in the pool except when someone is swimming. Never had a problem with axles, wheels, or gears.

The 280 replaced a 180 that was 19 years old and had been rebuilt about 5 or 6 times. I finally got tired of messing with it and got the 280.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.