Lot's of pollen/stuff in pool floors?

Are you wondering if you have algae or pollen/dirt/etc?

• Total voters
May 25, 2007
Many people are reporting accumulations of gunk on the pool floor this year. Some are posting pictures that look very similar. My dad's pool has this as well, looks just like most pictures, like this one I stole from firefly's post :) -

img_3083_737.jpg

I thought I'd throw up a poll to see if there was common ground. Maybe it will tell us something, maybe it won't :)

Not sure but I can tell you that this year is the worst I have ever seen for that. On the flip side, I have never seen our fruit trees with so much fruit, the ornamentals bloomed like mad, etc. Its the climate.

Poseidon said:
Is it just me, or does this seem to be more prevelant in above ground pools?

For me, this year, I'm noticing it more....only one tree in the yard tho I suppose it could be blowing over from the neighbor's.... but definetly more noticeable than prior years....either that or my OCPD is worse this year.... :lol:

I really think that taking a sample and placing it in a glass jar helps alot with identification. This year seems to be pretty bad with pollen. We had several large spring blooms followed by one summer blooms (on the trees) that started a few weeks ago. I expect a few more to follow...but spring was the worst so far.

I looked to chlorine drop (and visual accumulation) more so than CC. A few times the CC raised up, but most times they stayed at zero.

dan

Poseidon said:
Is it just me, or does this seem to be more prevelant in above ground pools?

I just voted and my pool is in inground. I posted appearance info in a thread under "algae" in case some of you want to compare. I'm vacuuming every other day. My FC and use of PQ60 is too high to allow algae to live - I think!

Jim

I think until someone vaccuums, covers their pool then sees if it shows up on the cover or back in the pool, we won't ever know for sure if this stuff is pollen or mustard algae of some sort...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I seem to have the same thing. Can all of us have the same thing nationwide? Seems weird? I do fall into the category of having tall trees in close proximity to my inground pool.

Is anyone else experiencing a slimy liner? I noticed the liner to get slimy last week, brushed it and everything seemed fine. 4 days later it is slimy again and I am noticing these grey accumulations at the bottom of the pool. Related? I don't know. The grey gunk (for lack of a better term) appears to look like powder or dirt. It does not appear to be attached to the liner but seems to be there in abundance. It appears to be some sort of settling vs. anything alive.

Any help would be appreciated and if anyone has solved the mystery, please chime in.

My last #s are as follows:
FC 3
CC 0
TC 3
PH 7.5
Alkalinity 100
CYA 35

Craig...I'd appreciate if you can get a sample in a squeeze bottle and send it to me. I'd love to compare it with a few others. Thanks!

dan

One thing I forgot to mention. My pool installer warned me of using a solar cover during spells of hot weather, as it could cause "algae problems". I quickly dismissed this coment, but am now reconsidering. Is anyone else using solar covers? Any truth to this statement?

Wolfmarsh said:
Yellow stuff at the bottom can definitely be pollen, as mine was pollen.

Hi Wolfmarsh,

I think the yellow stuff could definitely be pollen in some cases. But I think that treating it as algae (yellow if that's the case) is the best course of action...until you can prove that it isn't algae. The most prudent way I can think of treating an unknown yellow substance in the bottom of the pool is to bring the pool to mustard shock levels (which are a bit higher than normal shock level for green algae). Then maintain these levels. Also check your chlorine levels to see if there is any chlorine consumption over night. But I wouldn't use this as the only indicator because I've sen some threads where people who described what might be real mustard algae with little or no chlorine drop overnight.

Also...as early as you can try to get a sample of the product. Put it in a small glass jar and let it settle. Once it settles in the jar you may get a better idea of what it looks like. You can also leave it in the sun (partially shaded) and see if it spreads or grows after a week or two. If you're able to you can send me a private message if your able to send some of the sample to me for examination too. After these few tests...If your confident that it's pollen or dirt...let the chlorine levels drop and see how things progress. If it is pollen you'll still want to run your filter alot...vacuum to waste and clean your filter often if it's a cartridge filter.

that's just my $.02

dan

Sorry this is a little off topic.

is that and above ground pool picture, because that is the wierdest main drain i have ever seen, i dont think you could show me one more strange, that one looks like a bath tub drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.